1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need Info on Buying a Used Plow-What Will Fit?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Four Seasons, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Four Seasons

Four Seasons Senior Member

I hoping you guys can tell me what kind of used plows off of different model trucks will be cheapest to hook up to an 07 new style Silverado 3/4 ton. Of course one from the same model would be ideal but I want to find something used in the summer and its hard to find things for newer style trucks. It should be a 2005 or newer plow and Im assuming that some of them will cost me $500 to have it fit for my truck while others may be $1500 because of mounts and wiring. I really have no idea. How much should I budget to have a random plow fit to my truck?

2. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

500 most likely, 1500 sounds a bit steep ( about 1000$ steep)
  3. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

Figure on $1500 to $2000 to retrofit a used plow to your truck !!!!!!!!!!!!

Ask me how I know....................

I swapped my Western straight blade from my 04 GMT-800 to my 07 GMT-900.
    Swap required new truckside harness $300, different iso module $250, different
    mounting carton $475, Because the new harness was the 3 plug style I had to
    switch to the new style headlights $300 MORE plus labor at my local Western

MOST dealers won't modify existing wiring harness' or mounts to work on other trucks
    and want to replace EVERYTHING with new by the book parts !!!!!!!!

I should of took the whole lot to Jerres Service in Erie Pa. Hes the guy with the SKILL
    and knowledge to take care of the swap with minimal cost and use of my existing parts
    but distance and time were not on my side at the time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shop carefully and ask, ask, ask a dealer IF that used plow will work on your truck
    and/or what it will cost to make it work ! In most cases it costs almost the same
    to go NEW as to buy used and make it work on your truck !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now if you could fall on a plow that came off a gmt-900 like yours...........It would
    be a piece of cake as well as simple! But it real life we know that don't happen
    often! Good luck!
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  4. Four Seasons

Four Seasons Senior Member

Thanks. If I cant find the whole setup for my truck which I probably wont. Maybe I can find the truck side stuff & plow seperate.
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Watch Ebay and craigslist. Plows and parts will get cheap soon.
    A GOOD welding shop can make most mounts fit too with some fabrication