1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need info for lights for a back blade

Discussion in 'Used Plowing and Truck Equipment Forum' started by HGT INC., Jan 12, 2010.

1. HGT INC.

HGT INC. Senior Member
    from MI.

I would like some info on lights for a back blade. I know a lot of people operate back blades, but what kind of back up light packages do you also have. I really don't want to install something on my bed rails or put lights under my rear bumper. I would like to install something, hopefully mounted to the blade. I have given thought to welding some type of a trailer light and or bracket and I have also thought of an additional type of red safety warning light, just as a road safety feature so I don't get rear ended. Thanks everyone.

2. gusdust

gusdust Senior Member

I bought a utility light at Napa and mounted it on a chunk of 2X and put it in the driver side rear stake pocket.The direction is adjustable sideways and up and down. It's on it's own lighted switch on the dash with a plug at the light so it can be pulled out of the pocket when not in season. I ran the wire under the truck ,up through an existing hole in the box side. I put it on it's own switch ( not with backup lights)so I could turn it on to light things up when filling my walk behind spreader and other rear chores. I did this AFTER I bought my first garage door. Tired, dirty mirrors, dark, and all the other excuses I can come up with. I'm sure you could figure out a way to mount a light to the rear plow. The red marker/ safety light is a good idea also.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  3. HGT INC.

HGT INC. Senior Member
    from MI.

Thanks for getting back, I had to laugh a little about buying a garage door. That's why I put up this post. This is a good idea, when your finished, just remove the light.

4. fordboy

fordboy Senior Member

I would probably not mount it to the back blade itself. I would be worried about the vibration and things and then always replaceing the bulbs. Even though the lights on our front mounted plows seem to last.

5. HGT INC.

HGT INC. Senior Member
    from MI.

Makes sense, all that banging and vibration can't be good.

6. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

i would find some LED's if vibration is a concern.

7. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member