1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need in put on this...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by S & A Landscaping & Plowing Service, Dec 23, 2009.

1. S & A Landscaping & Plowing Service

S & A Landscaping & Plowing Service Senior Member

Was at a dealer today looking at 8ft Blizzard Compact Position for my ford...For my boss to be taken off the truck and this to be put on will be 7655.00....He said this is way better then the Boss V. Said it scoop way more snow then the v blade .. Give me some input on this....Boss V or Blizzard... :help:.....Thanks

2. tattood_1

tattood_1 Member

How much time will it really cut off of your plowing time? If it only saves a few minutes here and there it will take a long time to offset the cost if your Boss is still working fine. "If it don't make dollars, it don't make cents"

3. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

I think you need to tap into some of the dedicated blizzard users on here (newlooklandscp or 4evergreenlawns are a few in my area) and they will tell you all about the pros/cons of the blizzards.

4. S & A Landscaping & Plowing Service

This guy said for large lots this would be the way to go with the Blizzard..He showed me how this works was i impressed...The only turn off i have on this blizzard more moving parts...More moving parts the more you can break...It would cut down on my time a lot...

5. parnellyj

parnellyj Junior Member
    from MT

I would not get rid of my Boss Plows no way no how!!!

6. nh785

nh785 Member

i love my blizzards but i cant see replacing a plow. to spendy plow goes when the truck goes

7. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

They swap out your boss, but you get to keep it and sell it then right? Because if that price is with your plow for a trade I'd say SCREW that..

8. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

not sure why youd get rid of a boss. They are simple in design and are reliable.

I dont see an advantage to switching

9. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

Owning one or more of each of the major brands.......

Most of my plows are straight blades but I do have a Boss v-plow and a Blizzard 810

Pros of Blizzard: IN MY OPINION.......AGAIN....IN MY OPINION

Scrapes better than any others. Cutting edges are great
    More snow capacity since you dont lose so much area with the "v"
    A good operator who maximizes the abilites can really move some snow.
    Great for large lots, very little trailoff compared to others
    10 ft on a pickup in a large lot makes a big difference

CONS of Blizzard:

Not very forgiving if you hit something. And if you bend a wing, it cancels out the benefits of the plow
    Cutting edges wear faster than the other plows and are DISGUSTINGLY EXPENSIVE
    parts overall are expensive
    They are not very "field repairable" .... Im a road service mechanic so yes, I can do it but the parts are specific to the blizzard, not easy to get to, and not something you will find in your local auto parts store "plow section"

With so many electrical components, they dont mix with salt and snow.

Unlike a traditional plow that you can rig together......When something goes on a blizzard, it tends to render the plow useless. It either gets stuck in one position or does nothing at all.

With that said.

As much as I hate the blizzard plow from a mechanic standpoint......I am MISERABLE if I plow with anything else.

Scr

10. S & A Landscaping & Plowing Service

Thanks for all the in put on this...Will hold off on selling the boss..Will buy the blizzard when i get the new truck in the summer....WOULD LIKE TO WISH ALL OF YOU AND YOUR FAMILIES A SAFE & HAPPY HOLIDAY

11. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I also can't see changing a plow mid life on a truck unless there's a huge costly issue that makes little sense to repair, but with a pricetag like that I'd never do it. In the shorter term, if you "need" the extra carrying capacity for bigger lots grab a set of wings to hold you over. I don't know about boss but I know western has em, and there's aftermarket but I've heard not great things about t
    hem.