1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need Ideas for Salt Bag Disposal

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Slash, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Slash

Slash Junior Member
    from NW Ohio

I run a welding shop and one of my customers is in the landscape/snow removal business. He has a hitch-mounted spreader on his truck and carries two pallets of melter on the flatbed deck. The problem is how to retain the empty salt bags until he gets back to the shop where he can dispose of them.

He wants me to fabricate a 'spear' of sorts that would stick up 2-3 feet above the deck surface. The bags would be impaled onto the spear, thus keeping them from blowing about. I think this is a big safety concern, especially on an icy aluminum deck. So far, I'm not coming up with anything else that would be feasible & SAFE.

Any ideas from you guys with more experience would be greatly appreciated.

2. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Why not stuff them all in one bag until it is full and start another? That keeps mulch bags from blowing around. I'd try that and then place a bungee along the deck to hold the full bags in place, rather than the spear. I too see that as a danger that should be avoided. Now if you made the rod face forward, not sharp, and kept it close to and parallel with the deck it may work but I still think a lot of loose bags will take up more room than when stuffed into another bag. How about a grease keg placed upright or even bolted down horizontally with a few bungees across the opening? Shove them between the bungees and down into the keg. Is there room for that on board?

And Welcome to Plowsite!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2007
  3. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

if the truck can legally handle 4,000lbs of bagged salt, what the heck is he using a tailgate salter for? BTW, a company makes a salter using live-bed technology that pushes a pallet of bags onto knives and spreads them, thus containing the bags and then its not a worry.

I just stuff bags into one another and dispose of in customers dumpster.

the idea with the bungees and barrel is a good one, forget the spear.

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I agree. A spear on a slippery truck, not a good idea.

5. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

The barrel is the best idea. Otherwise, stuff the bags into one bag and put them in the salt hopper between jobs and dispose of where possible.

6. CUCV

CUCV Junior Member
    from NH

I use the tool box on my PU to put the empty bags in. For a flat bed use an under bed tool box to put the empty bags in.

7. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

I use plow shoes, I don't run them on the plow and they make a great empty bag holder, and come with a handle. :drinkup:

Bill

8. Stud Bro

Stud Bro Senior Member

if you have a flat bed build a box to contain the salt and then just load if with a shovel that way you can load it at the shop and dispose of the bags right away. plus you could build the box on a pallet so you can lift it off when your not using it.

9. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

What about something horizontal to the bed, the spike idea but with a spring loaded cover, you slide it open the let go of the cover and the spring pushes the bag into the spike and keeps the sharp portion covered. Seems like too much thought and work in my mind but it would cover the safety part of the problem, I like the stuffing bags in bags idea it's what we do with our calcium for walks.......lots get bulk salt.

10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We're missing the point. The guy asking the question owns a welding shop and he wants to build something for his customer. I say build him a V box.

11. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

How about a thin stainless wire with a spear on the end of it. Something like the old fishing guys would use to hold thier fish in the water. Can't for the life of me remember the name of that thing. Fishing _______????? Is it a string.

Attach one end to the truck and string the bags like a fish.

DAFF

12. Slash

Slash Junior Member
    from NW Ohio

I've suggested buying bulk salt and/or getting a V-box, and those are both a no-go for my customer. :dizzy:

The under-body tool box is a good idea, but I'm afraid that the bags would start blowing while filling the spreader and before he comes down off the deck. I'm going to talk to him about attaching a 30 gallon drum to the deck.

Another thought was to mount a vertical post at the front of the bed, about 3" back from the headache rack. The bags could be shoved down between the two, and I think that they would stay in place.

13. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

I go through my share of fertilizer bags and I'll lay them flat as I am using them, then you can roll them up, and place them inside an empty bag. If you roll them tight youd be surprised how many rolls you can fit. Buit youll still have that bag and however many others. You can fit 25 or 30 or so in an empty bag.

I get rid of mine at the commercials that utilize the product in their dumpsters.

That wont help your application but thats how I do it.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2007
  14. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

I thought the horizontal positioning would avoid snow/ice buildup and be easier to clean out the salt, since it would likely be bolted down. Maybe you can come up with something that is open to avoid that. A container out of expanded steel or perforated aluminum like accelerator catchers are made of.

15. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Ok from a guy that runs bags only I know the prob with empties If he has a flatbed then he has room for the holder not disposal. The problem with bags is you don't have the time to roll up the bag of stuff it into another one then they just fly away when you move to the next location. The spear would work great in a perfect dry day with not lifting a 100 bags or reloading the truck so you have to hold the bags so they don't fly away with the wind of the storm or driving. Run 2 vert rods with a distance of 15 inches or more and a weighted holder that slides down on the rods to hold the bags under the weight and have some tips on the underside to grip the bags as you stack them up. And for safety place a shield or cap on top of the rods so you cant fall on them and impale yourself. Its like a vise to hold the bags in one spot till you find a dumpster with the weight of the slide piece holding down the bag. My drawing is crude but Iam to tired to give a good pic but if you can fab you can figure it out. Hope this helps

pic.jpg

16. cincy snowdog

cincy snowdog Senior Member

how about a piece of spring steel made some thing like a mouse trap or a clothespin mounted down and you lift it up and put the bag in let go and keep your fingers out .

17. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

How bout you do a spear like the guy wants but hook it around on the top. Like an upside down "J", or a candy cane i guess. By hooking it around like that it not only makes it safe - bet would be a huge help in keeping bags on the spear. Obviously dont make the end of it sharp, but you can round off the tip and make it sorta pointy so it easily punctures plastic bags.

Do i get a commission or what? :jester:

Edit: I agree a V-box is better. But how can you tell a customer that wants a pole welded on his truck that he should really spend $4k+ for a new spreader......

Last edited: Nov 16, 2007
  18. Slash

Slash Junior Member
    from NW Ohio

I like this idea. I'm think that I may use some coil springs on the 'guillotine' part. That way it doesn't have to be heavy steel, but it will still hold the bags down.

As you said, the spear would be OK on a sunny day. I actually helped this customer out during one big storm last winter, none of his 'helpers' could make it through the drifts. I can't imagine trying to roll up empty bags with heavy gloves on and numb fingers @ 5 degrees + 35 MPH wind.

19. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Tell him to give the bags to the kids in the neighborhood to use as sleds! :eek:

Or give them to the crackheads in the neighborhoods ahd tell them to put the bag over their heads when they smoke the crack and maybe they will choke themselves into the "big sleep"! :jester:

20. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

i vote for that idea!!!