1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need ideas for plow wings for my snowbear

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by F150dash, Jan 2, 2008.

1. F150dash

F150dash Member

I am looking to make my own plow wings for my snowbear and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what material would be best and any other info that you may have thanks.
    Jonathan

2. dunedog

dunedog Senior Member

Have thought about this myself. Not an easy solution. I've looked at regular pro wings but they add another 70 plus lbs to the plow weight and are built for full sized heavier plows.
    I don't know if this would stress the winch and cause premature burnout or not.
    Maybe the easiest answer will be to contact the folks at Superwinch to find out.
    It would be nice to see something made out of molded poly but I'm sure it's all about the demand. If you can't sell millions etc etc.

3. minneplowguy

minneplowguy Junior Member

Plow wings

Not sure what your looking for really but this is what i did with mine and it works really well except if you want to take them off it takes a while with the bolts that hold it on. Its from the same type of heavy rubber that some of the Deflectors are made out of. Just a thought and love my Snowbear.

4. minneplowguy

Wings

Here goes again i will try and attach photos.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
  5. dunedog

dunedog Senior Member

Yeah Minne, I have thought of something similar. I push straight alot (clearing parking at my apartments) and have thought of making box extentions that would give me a larger plow,but also want to figure some way of attachment that would allow quick removal,when I need to angle.
    What happens when you use your particular setup in angle position ? Do you have any shots?.

6. minneplowguy

They tend to fan out and it works pretty good but if i know i have to do a long driveway like my mothers i take one side off. But your right i wish i could find a quicker way of putting and taking them off. They are light compared to the real heavy ones i have seen. You could probably bend some angle or tubing and use pins and washers to secure to the plow ribs on the side and bolt that to the wings.

I will be trying some ideas in the near future and see what i can come up with.

7. F150dash

F150dash Member

I was thinking about some heavy rubber. I don't angle mine at all so I really don't need to worry about taking them off. I was looking at the ones at Northern tool, but they add almost 70lbs to the plow and I am not sure if I want to add that much to it. I love that new cutting edge you had made up for it. It looks like it would work well. Does it help with the back drag?

8. minneplowguy

works great for back dragging and the rubber on those are strong enough they don't tear or rip and keep the snow where you want them. People out there still have a hard time dealing with the fact these plows will stack and do just as good a job as the $3000 or more and they are less prone to break down or really need repairs like the hydraulic ones. The extra 70 pounds from northern will help with the weight of back dragging but don't think you need the extra weight. Try some heavy gauge sheetmetal and bend that to form your wings, a lot less weight to be carrying.

Love the photos too.

9. dunedog

dunedog Senior Member

Minne, I meant to ask about your edge.
    I'm sure you have posted that info somewhere on the site but would you explain again here what you used. Was it off another plow or did you fab it yourself?wesport

10. minneplowguy

I went to one of the local steel yards and had them cut me a piece of 3/16 stock and had them cut it in a 6" width then just drilled the holes using the old one as a template and bolted it on.

Very easy and works better then the original which i kept for a back up.

Any ideas on them wings ?

11. F150dash

F150dash Member

I think that I am going to look into that cutting edge. and right now I am trying to find somewhere around where I live where I can find some heavy rubber and I think that I will try that for the wings first. So how come we don't have a section on here for snowbear I think that we should. It would make it alot easiier to get info to all the snowbear owners.

12. topdj

topdj Senior Member

ah no they dont stack or backdrag well , How do I know I had one for 7 years. did it work sure until I wore the winch out, and it was always getting stuck on the mount.
    I had to toss the cheap cutting edge and put a real 3/8 x 6" on that helped but still was not much use for backdragging, it tripped easy too. I got my moneys worth out of it and sold it for 400 in OCT07. now I dont have to get out to angle anymore :)
    well if any of you need an extra mount I have a mid fullsizer 90's snowbear frame with crossmember
    If you need a plow and your in a $ pinch the snowbear will get you by

WHAT is the cutting edge on your plow it dont look like the thin cheap on snowbear provides, BTW I like your wings out of rubber

Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
  13. minneplowguy

Thanks and the angling is not a problem as most of it is straight forward. And this was heavy wet stuff last year and not a problem so everyone has their opinion but i am happy with mine and will keep it till it goes bad.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
  14. topdj

topdj Senior Member

stupid me I didnt read your post way above you did the same thing as me and went and made a real 3/8" x 6 " T10 steel, oh ok I read it again a 3/16" I went for the 3/8" to add a little weight but it took its toll on the winch over time.

15. F150dash

F150dash Member

I have had no problem stacking, not the greatest thing to back drag with but hey it beats a snowblower or shovel. I think that they are made quite well, mine doesn't trip much at all. We have had 4 storms in a week and I plowed for 6 days straight and it never let me down yet, I have piles in my yard and some of the other properties that I look after that are over 5 feet in height. So no one can tell me that it can't stack. I have the most room in my yard as anyone on my street. Everyone is using it to turn in..lol...It may not be commerical but it is a damn good plow...

16. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Why don't you wanna add weight to your plow? 70 lbs aint nothing.

17. F150dash

F150dash Member

I don't mind adding the weight just not sure if the winch will handle it. I don't feel like buying a new one anytime soon. That was my only concern about adding weight.

18. MileHigh

rest a 70 pound sandbag over the top of your plow...go up n down a bunch, see what happens. How much does that plow weigh anyways?

19. F150dash

F150dash Member

It weighs about 250lbs....Your Ford looks awesome with the plow on it

20. MileHigh

thx man!! Yours ain't to shabby either!!