1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need homemade gooseneck trailer pics

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by fireboy5722, Oct 21, 2013.

1. fireboy5722

fireboy5722 Senior Member

Got a good heavy 5th camper frame and plan to build a deck over out of it need some ideas. What do you guys have?wesport:mechanic:

2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

If it's just your standard 5th wheel frame with 5 or 6 lug axles it's going to be built pretty light compared to even a 14k deck over gooseneck and will be no where close to a 20k+ trailer.

3. fireboy5722

Only looking for 10-12k so I don't need to license combination.

4. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

I am all for you making a trailer.... Just want to add my .02. Don't bother if you are going to convert a Lippert brand 5th wheel trailer. Lipperts could barley hold the campers that were put on them. If its an older trailer, say a Valley brand trailer... Your good. From my experience many years as a fifth wheel owner/forum member.

5. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

I have only seen a few decent homemade trailers. When I was looking for my gooseneck I went to look at a few "custom" trailers. They were cobbled up pieces of junk. It takes a lot of work to make a good trailer. Might want to just wait and look for a good deal on one that is already made. That is what I would do.

6. fireboy5722

But it's hard to pass up free and the guy is giving me the frame after he strips it.....

7. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

Sometimes getting something really cheap or free seems like a good way to save money but ends up costing you more in the end. With the cost of steel, wood and anything else you will need to convert the camper frame, I bet you could find a decent gooseneck for close or less than you will have in the camper frame. Not to mention a ton of your time. I would still take the camper frame and take it to the scrap yard and put that money towards a trailer. You might even be able to sell the camper frame for more than scrap price to someone.

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Camper trailers use the structure of the camper body for strength and rigidity. Once you strip the camper they flex and twist. Not a good basis for a flatbed equipment trailer.

9. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Have seen it done many times. About the only thing a converted camper trailer is OK for is hauling a couple ATV's. Don't waste your time...especially if you plan on putting 12k on it.

10. OldSchoolPSD

OldSchoolPSD Senior Member

I looked at building a gooseneck trailer last year. I have the shop set up to do it, great prices from steel suppliers, and the skilled labor to put it together and it was STILL cheaper to buy one than to build one.

Camper trailer frames are weakness. No way you will put 10k on one and have it live. For safety's sake, please forget that idea.

11. Plow_king

Plow_king Member
    from NJ

if its free take it and scrap it and put the $$ towards a real one.

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

been there done that, people come in all the time asking about building a trailer cheaper than tractor supply:dizzy: they're not great trailers but still as you said can't by the materials for that money.

13. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

Not trying to rain on your parade but its just not worth it... I tried it ended up scrapping it

14. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict