1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need Help

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by PlowIt, Jan 10, 2009.

1. PlowIt

PlowIt Junior Member

Hello All,

I am looking for some information on start-up issues. First off, I would like to know what you have to do to be able to be a subcontractor for another company. Do you need to register with the ministry as a contractor? If so how much does that cost? I live in St. Catharines, Ontario. I am also looking for an insurance company for snow plow coverage, since my current insurance company will not cover me. And finally I would like to know how much to charge per hour as a sub, I have done some research on the web and seen anywhere from $50-90/hr depending on equipment and company. I own a 2005 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II, with a 6'8 Sno-way with down-pressure.

Thanks for the help in advance,

Mike

2005 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II, with 22-series 6'8 Sno-way (with down-pressure)

2. pongow26

pongow26 Senior Member

Insurance wise, I use Liberty Mutual and they provide me with a "General Liability Policy". Make sure the policy specifically states snow plowing. What to charge? - I would call around and see what others are charging in your area, its the best way to guage what people are willing to pay in your area. In my area rates range from $50 to $65 per hr to have any of the local plow guys to plow but they all plow mostly commircial so I charge about $40 and do mainly residential. Like I said it depends mainly on the area you live in and what you need to operate