1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help...

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by UTURN1, Nov 17, 2008.

1. UTURN1

UTURN1 Junior Member
    from Ohio

New to the forum here. I am looking for some education here on plows. I've never plowed a day in my life and I've never owned one.

TRUCK: 05' Ram 1500 4x4 Crew Cab w/5.7 ltr v8
    USEAGE: residential driveways and small business parking lots.

1. What would be a good plow for my truck based on usage?
    2. What plows would be best suited for a first time plower...like myself?
    3. What are some things I need to know about before and after plow season maintenance on my truck?
    4. Any tips for a first time plower?

2. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

is it a quad cab or mega cab?

Both are 4 door crew cab style trucks. the issue with the 1500's one is built on 1/2 ton frame and the other on 3/4 ton frame, and that makes a big differance as to what plow you can put on the front.

Chris

3. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Any of the smaller 7.5' plows would be good. Your issue will be the weight allowance on the front axle. I think this truck still has the tortion bars up front and not the coils. Had a 26 series snoway on the same truck. Did a good job. Really nice to have the down pressure oftion for back dragging, expecially for resi's and smaller lots.

4. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

They didnt offer the 1500HD (1/2 ton mega cab) in '05. Wait, they didnt offer the mega cab at all in 05.

Your truck would work fine, just take it easy.

5. UTURN1

UTURN1 Junior Member
    from Ohio

Its the quad cab., short bed.

Looking to know to what kind of set up to get too...trying to get myself educated here on options vs. price...etc.

6. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Go with a 7.5 or 8' straight blade, no V plows on that truck! the difference between the two plows (the 7.5 and 8') is typically only like 10-20 lbs. A good friend of mine just picked up a 7.5' Western Midweight for a '05 1500 dodge used in damn near mint shape for $1900. Deals are out there, they just go quick

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  7. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

I will be the first to say it.....if you think business will eventually grow into more commercial properties, I would just go ahead and get yourself a 3/4 ton truck. If that isn't possible, then any 7.5 plow will work for you, but keep an eye on your front end parts as they may wear quicker then you expected.