1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need Help

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by bike5200, Jul 28, 2008.

1. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

Need some help from you Ford guys. My dad has a 01 Ford Crown Vic. It has a 4.6 L engine. When you start the car it dies. If you give it some gas, it will run, but as soon as you let off the pedal the engine dies. Scanned the car, no codes came up.It does this if the engine is cold and at running temp.

Steve

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Two things... either a vacuum leak...or much much more common on the Fords is the air bypass valve failed. A failed air bypass wont normally set a code either.

You can try removing and cleaning the old valve (two screws, real easy) but I've always found that to be a temporary repair at best. Better off to replace it.

3. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

Where is this valve located or what does it do? By pass air to what?

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The idle air bypass valve does just that, its a metered electronically controlled valve that allows air to bypass the throttle plate at idle. The PCM moves the valve to whatever position it needs to in order to maintain the correct idle speed. When the valve itself has a problem the PCM can no longer control the idle speed...and the vehicle will either stall...or idle too fast. Here's a pic for reference as to what the valve looks like.

One other note: a sticking EGR valve can also cause an intermittent stall as well if it sticks open...but not nearly as common on the Fords as the defective ABV..

0900c152800af788.JPG

5. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

Went and worked on my dad's car today. Found the valve, removed a hose on it and stuck my little finger up in it and felt a stud and tried to move it. Started the car, did not idle. Went back and stuck my little finger in the hole again and this time I think I felt the stud move. Put the hose back on, started the car and it idled. Went to dealer, bought a valve $85.00 and put it on. Car runs, Dad is very happy. Dad ask how I found out how to fix his car, I told him I go to a forum on-line and a guy from Pennsylvania told me what to look for. He was a bit puzzled.

Thanks for the help B&B, I owe you one. :drinkup:

Steve

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

:salute: Happy to help Steve. Actually fixing something isn't the hard part in many cases, knowing WHAT to fix is the key. :)