1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need Help

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by CAT420, Apr 27, 2008.

1. CAT420

CAT420 Senior Member

Whats the best type of plowing for the money? Residential/Commercial/Roads? Ive plowed roads and commercial lots for my company but this season will be my first year plowing with my own truck and i have never asked my boss whats the best so just looking for some help on getting started..

03 GMC Sierra 2500hd
    01 Suzuki Sv650s
  2. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

Personally, I would say drives. Most of the time it is on call basic. Some people want it cleared at different inches. And for the most part your charging them every time you come and drop the blade. Commercial is alot more involved. Some want seasonal, by the inch, snow removal, salting/sanding. Etc. You still have to salt and clear any walk way or side walk. But if you take some one with you, your basically in and out in 10 min. I plowed a few drives, as needed. The drives i plowed wanted it cleared every 3". Most of the drives by me are 2 car wide. At $35 a drive, and if we got a 6" snowfall. I went twice. So thats $70 a drive. Not including the walkway or salting. Also with the amount of cars people have, most want the street infront of the house cleared. And 90% of the time they call you back to clear the front of the drive because of the plow trucks that alway come by. You can always make money with drives. ( the prices i mentioned is the going rate by me. You would have to see the going rate by you) Also you have a Atv, that would work out great for you. How big is your truck? Reg cab, ext cab? What size blade do you have? Good luck.
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2008
  3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

If you can find a bunch of drives or small commercials in a small area to cover that is your best bet. Driving time is money wasted.
  4. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

if you can get a decent size comm lot then find some other small jobs it could give you enough work. I personally dont like plowin the resis around me bcuz there a pita. depends on your area and what kind of accounts you can get. might have to take a lil bit of everything to start out and find out what you prefer and what makes you more money.
  5. CAT420

CAT420 Senior Member

thanks, Quality i dont have an atv thats a street bike haha : ) and my truck is ext cab short bed and im looking for an 8ft blade, what do you think about plowing for the town? My nieghbor plows for the town and makes $78 an hour with bonus's all of the time and every storm is minimum of 4 hours pay so i was thinking about signing up when that time comes..
  6. Quality SR

oh sorry about that. lol. plowing for the town is good. but you need to carry heavy insurance. it is nice you just drop the blade and go. drives you can get away with a min insurance. but plowing for the town at least by me you need at least 2million liabilty. you will make money with drives, and a 8' or 8.5'will be just fine. you will be ok with a ext cab, is it a short bed? just driving down the street people will flag you down just to plow there drive or clean the street in front of the drive.
  7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Cat you may want to check with your township, as well as for insurance before you set your heart (and wallet) on plowing for your township or municipality due to your age.

Many insurance companies won't sell you the necessary amount of coverage to plow for your township/municipality due to your age, or it may be un-affordable for you if they do.

Also be aware that some towns/municipalities have minimum age restrictions. Some are 25, others are 21.

Not trying to discourage you, just make you aware. :)
  8. CAT420

CAT420 Senior Member

yea thanks there is alot i need to look into and your all giving me some help somewhere along the line...what kind of insurance is it that i need? i didnt know i needed any type of insurance for plowing for town?
  9. Quality SR

in my area you need 2 million liability and com. vehicle ins. like bb said i would say away from that. i know my insurance company wanted over 5k for me to have the 2 million. do the driveways to start, like i said you will make money.
  10. Indy

Indy Senior Member

The answer is in your question "My BOSS"

My bad, you wrote "plowing"
    NOT plow sometimes I am as dumb as a bag a hammers
    Good luck
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  11. CAT420

CAT420 Senior Member

yea well he went out of business after the season ended because he couldnt keep his head out of the CAT dealer and bought everything new under the sun, and hes not the nicest guy to sit down and talk to so thats why I am here.
  12. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

start off with driveways and small commercial lots. plowing for town/state is hard. you have to be ready to go when the phone rings and also be ready to stay as long as they need you. we run 2 of our trucks for the town and ill tell you they are really strict. start off with something that is easy on you. driveways are great. they are fast money. getting into commercial stuff will be hard of you dont have the resources.
  13. CAT420

CAT420 Senior Member

I am ready to go when the phone rings and ive plowed for 20 hours straight before so im not concerned about that stuff, but looks like everyone thinks driveways and small lots are best to do so ill look into that.
  14. Quality SR

You may have plowed for 20 hours straight, but that was just plowing. Add all the other BUSINESS stuff on top of that. And it feels alot longer. :dizzy: Give the drives a shot. Who knows you might do really well. And continue with them. Good luck

City jobs that pay less than $100 an hour forget that. Youll wear 100 off your cutting edge in an hour let alone your tranny, I average over $100 an hour and I do resi's so Im just driving with blade up most of that time.
  16. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

Commercial work as a sub in ur truck....but if you dont want to do that, i would say just doing driveways