1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by packey, Nov 19, 2007.

1. packey

packey Member

I need some serious help on an older western plow. My lift has decided to quit. this is an older mark II lift unit. it sounds as if the electric motor is fine but the pump will not lift the plow more than 1/2 an inch. I checked fluid and fluid was low so I filled it up and I am still having the same problem. If anyone can help let me know

2. packey

packey Member

I need to make a correction it is a western mark III isametric lift unit with a cable control.

3. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

Try losing your packing nut on the lift ram. You will probably have to use some lube over a couple days to loosen it up. Good Luck.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Will it angle all the way left and right ok?

5. packey

packey Member

it is a manual angle not hydraulic

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If the motor sounds strong then either the gear pump is weak or the inlet filter is plugged up...
    I'd pull the motor off and check/clean the filter.
    If you check it and it's clean, then the pump is probably weak..

7. packey

packey Member

If the pump is week how would I go about fixing it?

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

They're one of the easiest to change..
    If you review the manual you will see it's not a hard job at all..
    I posted a link to the Western service manual for these cable pumps in another thread here..(post #14) http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=51001

9. packey

packey Member

B&B thanks it was the filter screen the bottom of the unit was gunked up with a thick sludge. Is there any thing else i should watch for should i replace fluid agian to make sure every thing is clean?. I just acuired this truck and I have been trying to fix all of these little quirks before I get out with it. The guy I bought the truck from said it had been setting for a number of years.

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Since it's a manual angle plow, if you cleaned out the reservoir real good when you had the motor off, you got 99% of the sludge/crud out of the system and you should be good to go...
    And congrats on a job well done!