1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need help

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Precision Lawn, Dec 18, 2004.

1. Precision Lawn

Precision Lawn Senior Member

Hello I Need Some Help I Have A 1994 Chevy 2500 Hd 6.5 Turbo Diesel
    Today I Started It Up And Was Working On The Plow After About 20 Min The Truck Shut Off Then I Was Able To Start It Right Back Up And Again It Shut Off. I Took It For A Drive And It Would Just Shut Off And Then I Could Start It A Go Again And Shut Off. I Replace The Fuel Filter Tonite And Then Started It Up And Ran For About 20 Min And Shut Off And Then Try Tyo Start It And It Just Turns Over . Should I Replace The Fuel Pump That On The Frame Or What

Thanks

2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

You could check fuel pump but I suspect the injector pump. That one has a early electronically controlled ones that can do what you describ at time. Also check for water in fuel too. Replacement injectors pumps are upgraded in design and are more reliable too.

3. Precision Lawn

help

I put some addition in the fuel and fill it up early today Where would I find the injector pump at

4. Tarkus

It is the main pump on engine that has lines going from it to injectors. It is not cheap (over 1000 bucks) and it is not user replaceable either unless you really know diesel because it has to be accurately timed after install. It is the "heart" of the motor so to speak.

5. Precision Lawn

help

thanks for the information i guess i need to find someone

6. Tarkus

Do not go to a GM dealer for this , you will get skinned. I have seen pumps on line for around a grand in the past. (they are usually over 2 grand at dealers) Buy one and pay someone to install it correctly.

7. ggwash21

ggwash21 Senior Member

8. Tarkus

Myself I would not mess with a used injector pump and the newer ones are better designed anyway too and likley the last pump you will need even if you keep truck a long time.

9. ggwash21

ggwash21 Senior Member

OK that copy paste thing didnt work
    just go to www.car-parts.com
    i have foudn alot of parts on there extremely cheap and its still in the vehicle and goin strong

10. ggwash21

ggwash21 Senior Member

I understand where you are coming from but if someone can spend the grand for a pump then what else is there?
    Tarkus were you from in the midwest?

11. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Had the same problem a month ago. It is not your fuel pump or injector pump. I will check with my son on what it was and get back to you today.

12. Precision Lawn

thanks i change the fuel filter and pump out and it still does it

13. ggwash21

ggwash21 Senior Member

can you check the presure after the injector pump? if so have you done that>??

14. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

He says it was a sensor and he,s loking for the bill to see exactly which one.

15. ggwash21

ggwash21 Senior Member

that would make sense if the sensor is bad or really dirty to me intermiten like that..

16. Tarkus

I am old fashined, I liked it better when the pumps were fully mechnical,not these electri hybrids they use now. I know they are more precise but they can also be more fussy too.

17. Precision Lawn

help

Ok gentlemen yesterday I replace the fuel pump that is mounted on the driver side frame and put diesel addtive in the tank I started the truck it run for a while then start off again try to start it and it started up ok. I took it to a garage last nite and they look at it and it ran for 3 hours never shut off. I don't know where to go now. What do you think about changing the psd/fsd module out next or maybe it was to cold for the module to heat up to make it fail

Thanks

18. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

check with gm , the injector pumps go bad on those 6.5's along with the control box for it. had one doing the same as yours and it (the brain box and inj pump) was replaced free of charge by gm under a factory warranty that covers it to a 125,000 i think. they basically new they went bad and silently extended the warranty coverage on it.

19. Ripple

Ripple Member