1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help!!

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by socket7995, Sep 5, 2014.

1. socket7995

socket7995 Junior Member
    from PA

I am looking or a good way to estimate a large parking lot. I am new to the commercial aspect of bidding. The lot is 66,200 sq. ft. Fairly open and easy to push to outside areas. It is a large lot that I am not used to. I was thinking $300 per push and extra for the salt? Anyone that could help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

That is an acre and a half. I would get $328, so you are right there. Extra for salt.

3. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I don't know what you have to plow with, but I figure that 1.5 hours is a realistic time for an open 1.5 acre lot and a close stack with my setup ( wings added.)..
    So, @ $150 per hour, I would be around $225, maybe $235 - and salt.
    This is pushing up to, but not more than 4". I would ask for another $50 per inch after 4" if I were doing it after the storm.

But if you think they will bite on $300, do it!

4. socket7995

socket7995 Junior Member
    from PA

Thank you, it is appreciated!!

5. socket7995

socket7995 Junior Member
    from PA

Thank you, it is appreciated!!

6. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

You guys get 200 an acre for 1.5 acre lots? The market difference sometimes amazes me...

What's your annual snowfall average?

I'd be surprised if that lot brings more than 150-175 here. 90-100 per hour is what we average in the north, south we get about 150. About 40 inches a year north, and 20 south for me is average.

7. jackk

jackk Junior Member

prices

I get 150 an hour in Michigan. That is pretty good for where I live. I was wondering if I should use a front end loader or use a truck for a 50,000 sq. foot parking lot?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

A truck can do that easy. A V blade with wings or an expanding blade would be best but you have to use what you have.

9. jackk

jackk Junior Member

Boss or Western

What type of blade should I buy and what brand?

10. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If my choice is either Boss or Western, for the lot you described above I would get a Western Wideout.

11. Buswell Forest

from NH

An average winter here will bury a 4' fence under the snow in my field. Not drifted, just snowfall. And that is with the normal settling and melting going on...a heavy year will have me shoveling my steel roof because the snow has built up to the point it will not slide off any more.
    the winter of 05-06 (I think) we had just shy of 13 feet. It was crazy.
    I rode my sled up in pittsburg NH on may 1st that year. Got it stuck in deep snow too. 40° that day. Awesome.

12. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

Wow Buswell, I would love to see snow 13' deep. I wouldn't want to have to try to plow it, but would love to see it. Here in KC, our average winter was about 24", although after the last 2 winters, 34" two yrs ago and about 44" last winter, that may have gone up a bit.

13. Buswell Forest

from NH

It was almost 13 feet as measured and added up per storm. With settling, and natural melting it wasn't 13 feet in the field....but it was at least 5 feet come the first of march.

14. Buswell Forest

from NH

I live about 1 mile south of Freedom NH...our record one day snowfall....seems impossible, but they say it was 65 inches....My father told me of the time he had to shovel out a D4 Cat to be able to move it enough to use it for plowing. Said it was completely hidden under the snow except the coffee can on the exhaust. This was probably that 65 inch one day snow...and likely it was more than just the one day of snow too...
    Another time, he had to shovel his way into a landing with his 59 Ford log truck, load it by hand with 4' poplar pulp, and then had to shovel his way back out because it was snowing so hard it was impassable with a loaded log truck.

You poor bastages get F5 tornadoes, we get 4 day ocean fed snowstorms.

http://average-snowfall.findthebest.com/d/a/New-Hampshire