1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need Help

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by dwa, Dec 2, 2010.

1. dwa

dwa Junior Member
    from Wyoming

I have one of the old cable operated Western pumps. As I use it while plowing, it begins to move the plow slower and slower over a period of time (weeks) until the plow no longer moves up or left or right. When I take it apart, I find that the filter screen is clogged with what looks like vaseline. I had this problem before and thought maybe it was the hyd fluid (I use Western fluid) so I completely replaced all the fluid, including getting it out of the cylinders. Now this year, I am having the same problem -- plow worked great for a while and now doesn't move. Motor runs fine. Anyone else had this problem? We have a lot of winter left so I'd sure like to solve this problem. Any ideas as to what is causing it? Thanks in advance for any help.

2. jimpohl1979

jimpohl1979 Junior Member

I had a similar problem with my plow and converted it over to Amsoil full synthetic ATF. That solved the problem. I think the newer ATF's have too many detergents or something in them that gel up like diesel fuel in the cold.

3. dwa

dwa Junior Member
    from Wyoming

jimpohl1979

Thanks for the quick reply. So the Western fluid is ATF and not hydraulic fluid?

4. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

here's a link to a very similiar problem i had, but i would call it "lint" more so than "vasoline". anyway, read the thread. as it turns out, my problem was a heavily pitted lift ram.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=53753

5. dwa

dwa Junior Member
    from Wyoming

linckeil

Thanks for the reply, I'll check the pistons this weekend.