1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need help with wiring

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by jome65, Dec 5, 2009.

1. jome65

jome65 Member

i just bought a western uinmount plow for my 96 chevy 1500 it has 9 pins coming off the plow . i was giving a harness from a 1994 chevy suburban it is hooked up to my truck but i am having trouble getting power nothing to the truck side plug it is a 4 relay harness. do i need a two relay harness?lights are pluged into the sockets on the harness and are working properly just no power any ideas whats going on.my truck has drl but they dont work i think the switch is bad on the dash.i just bought the truck and the guy said it has drl but they didnt work

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  2. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

Your 96 1500 should use a 2 relay system with the DRL kit , the "DRL kit" simply replaces the brown wires on the 2 relays and provides power through a fused key on pink wire .

http://westernplows.com/pdf/13681_103103.pdf Should help you out some with the lighting schematic in it.

TOM

3. jome65

jome65 Member

i bit the bullet today and bought a brand new 9 pin two relay harness do i need the drl kit also the guy in the store told me nothing about the drl kit.before i throw all these wires (old and new out the window).

4. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

You can wire it as normal with the brown wires on the relays instead of the "DRL kit" , but you will have no plow DRL's.

You could also make your own "DRL kit" with a couple of 1/4" female insulated spade terminals and a fuse holder , make it just as it looks in the schematic if you choose to do it .

TOM

5. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

I would say yes.......I also believe the drl (day time running lights) kit will also have the plow light on but at low voltage like the headlights.

On the other hand you might be able to get away with it with out using the drl kit. I have a 94 chev 2500 with a 2 relay hookup.....

I would try with out the drl kit.......

Some body else might have a different opinion........

Nasty-Z u beat me to it..

6. jome65

jome65 Member

thanks i will run without the drl's dont need

7. jome65

jome65 Member

the new harness i bought does not have the headlight sockets on the harness did the guy in the store hand me the wrong harness or can i swap them off the old harness?

8. jome65

jome65 Member

thanks i will run without the drl's

9. jome65

jome65 Member

The guy in the store gave me a harness part #61437 9 pin two relay but it dont have the headlight plugs,is this the right harness?anyone know?

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

That's the main control harness (which you should already have?), thus there are no headlight connector plugs. You need the headlight adapter harness to connect to both the headlamps and the control harness.

In fact, if the Suburban had the same headlamp style as your '96 there's no reason you can't re-use it. If you can positively be sure of the previous application. Look on the headlamp adapter harness for a tag with the p/n 61716. If it's labeled as such you can use it on your '96.

11. jome65

jome65 Member

ok i got the plow to work with the new harness and the blinker lights to work but the head lights are not working on the plow or at the truckside female clip. anyone have any suggestions? I am not using the brown wires for the drl's(not running drl,s) put the pinks where the browns wires were on 85 on the relay still nothing.the pinks are on the harness for the headlight plugs.any suggestions?

12. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

If you have two pink wires on the headlight harness you have the wrong headlight harness , I would guess you have a 26071 (99-02) Chevy headlight harness if you have pink wires on it , you need a 61716 (88-98) Chevy harness .

Wire the 61716 harness and 61437 control harness like page 10 in the .pdf I posted and you should be all set .

TOM

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Their likey not wired correctly.

See this manual: Schematics

If you have 2B headlamps use page 56

If they're HB3/HB4 use page 57

14. jome65

jome65 Member

so the whole harness was wrong i bought the 61437 now i need the front harness anyone the price on that front harness?

15. jome65

jome65 Member

thanks you are a great help you have a aprox. on the front harness?(price about)

16. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

Where in NY are you ?

I have one but I am in the pocono's , Kresgeville PA 18333

Give me a call if you want to , 1-570-656-9506

TOM

17. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you wire it like described in the manual I provided you CAN reuse the headlamp harness you have. Just move the pins in the connectors and get the relay wires in the correct locations.

But if your not comfortable with your wiring schematic reading skills by all means purchase the correct harness.

19. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

If he has a 26071 harness , how can it be used on an earlier system without major mod's to the harness .

Just curious ?

TOM

20. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You can re-pin the connectors since they're both HB3/HB4, one is just low side drive and the other isn't. Have swapped them both ways on several accounts.