1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help with wiring on my western plow

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Northy, Nov 27, 2015.

1. Northy

Northy Junior Member

I bought a Western snow plow that came off a 2005 Chevy 1500 (I was told)
    I installed in on my 2002 Chevy 1500 plow works fine but lights are not working.
    Do I need a different harness? Or? Thank you

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

What plow? What wiring? 3 plug? 2 plug? 3 port? 4 port?

3. Northy

Northy Junior Member

Western Uni-mount , 3 plug , 4 port

4. kimber750

All wiring is hooked up? Park and turn are tapped? Make sure the two single pin ground connectors under the hood are clean and tight. One near module other is near battery. Make sure bumper connections are clean. Trace the ground from the plow from lights to negative on plow motor is not damaged. Double check all your wiring is installed correctly then check it again.

5. Northy

Northy Junior Member

Ok thank you will check all that today.... I know everything is hooked up and tight but not sure about grounds, etc. a couple of things to add... I have one head light on plow on drivers side when I switch port 3 and 4 ....I get just a head light on passenger side. No other lights at all never both plow headlights at the same time.

6. kimber750

This leads me to believe one of your headlight harnesses is bad or not connected correctly.

7. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

I had problems also. Could not figure out with a relay system. Said f it and got rid of harness. Tapped blinker and running and ran a hot to the headlamps on a switch in the cab. Simple run the truck with running lights on and flip plow light switch.

8. Northy

Northy Junior Member

Not really sure checked all connections ... Not sure which grounds at battery and module you are referring to. Ground at pump to lights ok

9. Northy

Northy Junior Member

Ok...update
    I noticed while tracing wires that when I wiggled wires on my 11 pin connector the one plow head light I had would get brighter so I tried cleaning and adjusting pins with no luck... I cut both plugs off and wired ( wire for wire ) and now I have parking lights and one bright Drivers side light. When I give the other headlight direct power both plow head lights go dim... Something is definitely goofy. Not sure what to do next.

10. kimber750

Did your headlight harness have the A/B connectors? Some of the harnesses the connector can be reversed. This can cause your issues. Basically if one is backwards it is sending power where there should be ground.