1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help with wiring 96 chevy 1500 for unimount 7.5 ploy pro

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by justdon, Dec 6, 2011.

1. justdon

justdon Junior Member

Hi new on here and have been trying to find info about what wiring harness I need to make my 7.5 ft western Poly pro plow work on a 1996 Chevrolet k1500 Cheyenne that I just purchased as a backup for my 1995 2dr Yukon that I usually plow with.

My Yukon is a great truck to plow with, however, it has a 6.5 turbo diesel that likes to act up on me every winter just as it's doing now (sucking air into the fuel system from somewhere, maybe sending unit) anyway, I ran across this 1996 Chevy with 31k on it that was used at a local church school for plowing and sanding their lot.
    The truck came with the unimount truck side mount, joystick control and all wired for what ever plow they used (I am trying to contact them to find out what they used to plow), I thought I was set but it appears to have a 3 or 7 pin truck side plug and my plow maybe a 9 or 11 pin plug.
    The Yukon has quad halogen lights and the Cheyenne single sealed beams. the harness tag I found on the 96 chev says it's #61546 and then there's a western sticker under the hood that say it had an update #667103 What ever that is.

If I plug the plow in the the plow light running lites come on and the head lites are just real dim on the plow but bright on the truck, if you turn on the turn sigs on the truck lights go off.

I'm thinking this should be a easy fix for someone who knows their stuff. Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

did you ck westerns website for the wiring diags????

3. justdon

justdon Junior Member

Yes, however the truck is a 1996 Chevy sealed beams without DRL's and unfortunately all the wireing diagrams for 1996 trucks are for trucks with DLR.

Also I'm looking for the specific diagram for the harness in the truck (#61546), The closest one is #61545, not sure if there is a difference or not.

4. dieselss

The only difference is the headlight adaptors. To install the wiring for the drl's is just changing a pwr wire to the relays.

5. justdon

justdon Junior Member

follow up wireing issues

OK, here's an update on my wiring issues.
    To bring you up to date, I usually plow with a 95 2dr diesel Yukon with a uni-mount poly plow, Love plowing with it but it has issues every year when it gets cold so I went in search of a backup truck, looked at trucks with and without plows, those with plows where rust buckets those without would have cost me an additional $1200 to $1500 to have a mount and wiring put in. So I'm looking at Car Soup and plug in some info for what I think will work, suddenly the first thing that pops up is a 1996 reg cab Cheyenne mileage not disclosed but fenders are all there. so I call the dealer and go and look at it because as I'm looking at the pics I see a uni-mount frame mounted to it.
    Turns out the odometer say is has 31k on it but the car fax say possible odom tampering because DMV shows it going from like 6100 miles to 79000 miles in 2 years than to 99k 2 years later and then back to maybe 12k until it's most recent at like 30k.
    I did a little investigating and found out it was owned by a local church and school to plow their lot, so I called them to ask what type of plow they had on it (thinking if I knew what kind of plow it may assist me on fixing my wiring issues), so they guy I talk with says he really doesn't know but the plow has been sitting in the school garage off the truck for 5 years because they contract out their plowing now and if I want the old plow I'm welcome to it.
    So I go and pick it up it's 7.5 pro plow with paint still on it, hang it on the truck plug it in nothing, the guy says it stopped working about 5 years ago and they never had it looked at.
    On my way home I stop at a self car wash and clean the dust and dirt off it turn the lights on and there dim just like when I tried my plow, wiggled the 9 pin and the lights go bright, tried the plow and just clicking of the solenoid. So I drive home pull in my drive and just for grins try it again, it works! work it a little and then stops again. get out play with the wiring for awhile and suddenly it's working again, for how long, who knows.
    I'm thinking maybe the die-electric grease is full of dirt from being off the truck so long, before the lights came on when they where dim I could hear the relay's in the harness buzzing like they where shorting or something. Haven't had a chance to check if it stills works today, but need to make this thing more dependable.
    By the way, the guy at the church said the 31k was actual miles, not bad for $2900 and a free plow!

6. dieselss

you are not getting a good ground to the plow.either your truck side ground is bad, or the grill connector is bad/not making good contact inside the plug. maybe the ground at the motor is so/so as well. when the relays click, and the lights are dim and turn signals dont work,,,its a ground issue everytime.

7. justdon

justdon Junior Member

Thanks, I've been thinking grounds in my sleep last night, just going to check things out now. I will clean all connections with cleaner and replace dielectric grease and see if I have any problems.
    My lights dim more than usual when activating plow as well, maybe because this truck is a 1 bat system apposed to the diesel being a 2 bat system or again maybe grounds. I'll post my results
    Thanks

8. dieselss

K be waiting to here what the fix was

9. justdon

justdon Junior Member

Cold one here today currently 13 degrees 0 with wind chill. So I go out and try the plow when I get home, it seems to be working so I decide I should try the poly on it to see if it works. I had to put in the proper plate that holds the light frame to the truck and put the proper mount pins on because I forgot to bring my pins when I picked up the plow and we used what ever we could find lying around at the church. Also the plates to hold the lights to the frame on the free plow where cotter pinned to the lights frame and on my poly they are truck side mount and held on with slip pins on the plow side. So I switch the plates around so they are the same on both plows clean up the electrical plugs, check grounds on the Bat, motor, and solenoid and all seems find. when I try my poly, I got nothing, dim lights, and clicking on the solenoid. I dick around checking grounds again, jumped the plow motor with cable (motor works) but that's it. So now it's dark and am thinking I'm cold, but I decide to take the poly off and put the pro plow (free one) back on. what I got was the same thing, dim lights and clicking so I get of the truck unplug and plug back in the 9 pins and the main power plug and still dim lights, but I decide to smack the plow light on the right side of the light frame and I had full lights for a a second. so now I thinking could there be a short in the head assembly? I push on it and the lights come on as long as I keep a little pressure on it, then I realize that it's the pushing of the light frame toward the truck that seems to make them stay on. I push and back and forth for a couple of minutes and they stay on, almost as if the frame of the plow is acting as the main ground.
    Now with the lights on I hit the joy stick to lift the plow and I get clicking and dimming of lights but the plow won't raise. I put it in float take the chain off the pump and the lift raises. so I go back out put the chain back on and just tap it a little a few times and suddenly the plow raises, goes back and forth seems to be working. now I drop the plow and it close all the way down to float and I try to angle it and it seize up and the lights dim out. Turn off the controller and lights and again tap the joy sick a few time and the plow goes up and the lights are bright. drop it again and the same thing happens. I switch to a hand held controller and I can drop the plow w/o it going into auto float like the joystick did. so I work the plow again up,down,left,right no problem until I put it to float and try to angle the plow with it on the ground and the lights go out and the pump seems to seize again. turn off the lights and controller and it un seizes and work again. Heres a weird thing, when I open the door the lights seem to go back on and the plow works again, close the door and float it down and it will seize again. Something is wrong with the electrical, I noticed that when the truck sits over night and I start it in the mornings the clock and set radio channels reset to 12:00 and no channels set. Maybe the main grounds on the frame or firewall, but it has no problems starting every morning. Does the plow frame act as a ground? I don't understand why the lights will come on when I push on the frame, it's not like the plow and truck side cables are moving that much and if I just try to move the plugs around nothing happens.
    Alright, I'm done for tonight back at it tomorrow.

10. justdon

justdon Junior Member

Went to a local shop that services and installs plows, explained it's behavior and he also said he thought it was a ground issue or something simple like the main power cable. His thought was that the plow frame was acting as the ground and that's why when I pushed on the frame the lights came on brighter. I made an appointment to bring the truck in later this week, but I decided I would take a shot at cleaning the grounds and plugs again and tried to duplicate the the problem again but everything seems to work Ok, even the drain on the lights when moving the plow is better, but I"m still concerned it's going to mess up again during a storm.
    And I'm used to using a hand held controller and this new truck has a joystick controller, On the joystick when I put it down position it goes all the way down to float, is that normal? My hand held the plow will stop going down when you let off the down button and you have to hold the down button for a few seconds before it floats. Is this a normal difference between the controllers?
    thanks for your help Dieselss, hopefully it's all good.

11. justdon

justdon Junior Member

It's all good

everything seems to be working fine after cleaning all connections and grounds, I hope it stays that way now!