1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need Help with wings asap

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MileHigh, Jan 5, 2008.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Installing right now is there supossed to be a tiny gap in between your cutting edge and the wings rubber edge? Cause I just got done installing the drivers side wing and there is a 1/4 inch gap about 2 1/2 in long in between the side of the metal edge and the rubber edge. Will that cause a lot of trail off?

2. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

i personally don't think a 1/4 inch is gonna leave too much snow. The wings are on to push/carry more snow each run, any trail off you do need to clean up when done you're still gonna be ahead of your previous, wing-free time frame. The wings aren't perfect but really do a good job in the right situations

3. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

Also, being rubber, they move and flex a lot.. Be ready for that gap to get bigger

4. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

It's not going to trail really any snow and if you get a heavy load in front of you that rubber will push back some more almost closing the gap. Don't worry about it, its like that on all our trucks but be ready to replace the rubber after a few big events. It doesn't hold up well. Good luck!

5. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Actually, the rubber flaps go behind the metal cutting edge, so the gap gets even bigger, but it is nothing to worry about. It is not enough to lose any significant snow. as a matter of fact, the gain from these wings by far outweighs the little loss of snow from the gaps.

6. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

what i did was move the rubber closer to overlap the edge of the blade . if you dont
    the rubber will fold .

JR

7. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

yes, the gap should be there
    and as others say, it leaves a little, but wings are a LOT more efficent than straight blades.

8. MileHigh

Thanks Guys. Got the wings all installed. And Flush my anglers and pump while I was at it. Hey Lone Cowboy...Were supposed to get some snow in about 24 hours..It's snowing like crazy in the mountains!!! I can't wait to use my wings. My blade just went from a 7.5 (actually 7.6) to a 9.5 in about 3 hours!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2008
  9. welded wrenches

welded wrenches Senior Member

8 ply wing rubber

ya i also say them replacement rubber for the wings are wimmpy,wimpy flimmsey.i made a homemade set from a 8 ply rear tractor tire.i cut of the tread bars.n then i used the asection of the sidewall-tread so it has a nice (c-shape curve )(8 ply rubber scoop for pro wing)long wear GET ur own

10. MileHigh

you have a pic welded wrenches?

11. LoneCowboy

yeah, hopefully, probably be another "dusting" :rolleyes:

another tip
    Use BIG flipping washers on the bolts holding the rubber in. They tend to like to tear thru the rubber over time. Also, I hate the bolts that hold the supports on the plow. I use nylon lock nuts and longer bolts (because the other ones seem to disappear every couple snows and that gets old replacing those).

Good luck.

12. MileHigh

hopefully we get a least a few inches! I did use some big washers on the rubber, But I'll take your advice on the nylon lock nuts and longer bolts.

13. LoneCowboy

I've replaced almost all of mine (the bolts) as they back out and disappear.
    you'll see.

14. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Do yourself a favor, and just weld the supports to the moldboard. It saves you alot of headache in the long run. Also, the point about the large washers is an excellent ont. It is worth while to get some pieces of flat stock steel and bolt them across there. WhatEVER you use, do not overtighten the bolts. When you compress these flaps, it speeds up the process to which these can tear at these points. I mean, they don't tear very easily...believe me,...but over time, as they wear, this is where it starts. Good luck and happy plowing!

15. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

I installed mine in front of the cutting edge..

16. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Wow. How does the pad swing by the front of the wear bar hen it swings forward to put the pin through the moldboard? Even if the rubber pads are mounted outside far enough, isn't the angle of the steel on the wings angled vertically back and down at such an angle that the pads would be behind it anyway? I know it is close, because as I have had them weaken, I have kicked my pads forward so they bind in front of the blade - but that was like I say...binding and sort of bunched forward.
    On the other hand, as I am thinking about it, (and depending on what kind of plow yours is), is that perhaps if your truck sits higher so that the angle of the plow is bowed more forward, your angle of attack on the wearbar would be more vertical than angled (I to \ ....but not completely vertically) then the wings would perhaps mount at a different angle all together. Just a thought....:)

17. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

it takes a little bit of muscle pushing the wing forward so you can stick the plate on the back and push the pin through. Takes a little longer to put on but its worth it

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  18. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

I set mine up the same way- have not used them yet. How do they work?

19. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

They cut your windrowing time down about 20-30% and decrease snow run off when pushing straight forward, gives it somewhat of a scoop.

works terrific for lots.. not so great for resi.

20. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Yea- I'll pull em' off for resis- Got em for my comm. accounts: heard lots of people like them alot. Just need some snow...