1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need help with whelen guardian light bat

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by nicks_xj, Mar 14, 2011.

1. nicks_xj

nicks_xj Senior Member

the cigarette plug on my light bar has been getting hot and now its starting to melt the plug i put a heavier duity plug end on and it still melts the plug can anyone give me an idea on how to fix this problem thanks in advance

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  2. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

yeah you have probably have a break in the cord and you are grounding out somewhere. Bigger plug only means bigger fire. Look at the cord is it crushed anywhere? any melt spots? And the fuse should have popped in cord. So search cord for a cut and if you have to pull off cover of light and look for some thing grounding out
  3. nicks_xj

nicks_xj Senior Member

ive checked all the wires an everything and cant find anything wrong with it, it has me stumped
  4. BoyneCityGuy

BoyneCityGuy Senior Member

Possibly the bar is drawing more than the plug is rated at, and if the fuse in the line is bigger than what the plug can handle, the plug will melt before the fuse pops. Personally i would run a battery direct line with a switch and a trailer-type plug so it is still easily removable, but adequately powered. the truck side can be run discreetly and tucked away when not in use.
  5. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

I'd suggest getting out a DVM and checking how much the bar is drawing as compared to what the manufacturer says it should draw. If it's more - and it probably is - then I'd start looking at each side of the bar to see which side might be the problem. There's no way you should melt anything if it's within specs and it's properly fused.

REDLYNE Inactive
    from NY

Is this guardian the strobe or rotator version? Also what are the conditions that it heats up under? Extended periods, immediately when plugged in? Whelen products usually use fuse/cord/plugs that are sized at least 125% of the max amperage draw of the product. This would point to me that you probably have an issue in the mini bar itself in either a strobe power supply or a rotator that heats up and increases its current draw accordingly. May try an amp clamp and disconnect each rotator to see if one pulls more current than the other. If you find a faulty one replace it. Same would apply for the strobe supply.
  7. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

Yupper, that's pretty much exactly what I proposed. Better stated of course!
  8. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE