1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help with western plow setup

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by johnp, Nov 20, 2007.

1. johnp

johnp Junior Member
    from toronto

Hello all I am new and I am trying to install my western uni mount plow on my 2002 chevy 2500 HD

1. I have not purchased the drl module (Special order) I was wondering if a home made Diode with a heat dissipate could be used? if yes does any one know the flow of the current for the diode ie plow low beam relay --> plow DRL relay or the other way <--.(page nine wiring diagram in instalation instrcution ulr : http://westernplows.com/pdf/63357_103103.pdf )

2. I have installed the mount and in the instructions it says that it should be 9.5 to 10.5 inch's from the ground to the center of plow hook up pins, well mines is 8 to 9 inches is this an issue? after I hook up the plow it shall drop even more.

All the help would be appreciated.
    thx

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

John, I suppose you could make one but you'd need to know what the resistance need's to be through it in order to duplicate the module output.. I can't tell you what it is as I've never checked one...

I can tell you that the in line diode needs to be installed so current can only flow from the DRL wire (blue or orange on truck) to the DRL relay. In other words, you'd want the stripe on the diode to face the relay.
    8" to 9" isn't quite high enough as you know, but it will work. It just wouldn't be ideal. Is the truck lower in the front than it is in the rear? If so, I'd turn the torsion bars up a bit on the truck to bring the front of the truck up the inch that you need. I usually give them at least 3 turns on the adjuster bolts before I even set the mount height during installation, as that's what it usually takes to get them in the ballpark for the correct mounting height no matter what plow your installing...

3. johnp

johnp Junior Member
    from toronto

Thanks for the advise. It seems that you know what you are talking about. If I omit the last 2 relays ie the DRL and Park lights would it be OK. I will not be doing too much plowing. I guess I would not have DRL on the plow. I could live with that. Further I will look in to having the torsion bar adjusted. Is there any thing else that I may need to know or do to finally have every thing set up completely.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sure, if you don't want the plow lights to operate as DRL's also, just leave out the DRL wiring components..

You can also eliminate the park lamp relay..but if you do, change the park light bulbs in the plow lights over to LED's to lessen the amp draw on the truck wiring..

With a 9 foot blade on a diesel you may also need to add a set of Timbrens to help with the front end weight, but I'd try it first and see how it holds the extra weight of the plow. With a few turns on the bars and some ballast in the bed it might be ok as is.
    If you do a search on here theirs tons of info on both the torsion bars and their adjustment but like I said, figure on 3 turns on the bars minimum..plenty of info here on the Timbrens too..

5. johnp

johnp Junior Member
    from toronto

OK B&B will do. I am using a straight blade setup that came off a dodge 1999 cummins. I don't have to change the lights do I? When you say that I should Change the DRL to LED please elaborate.
    thx.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If it's off a '99 Dodge your gonna need a different harness for your Chevy.. Your Chevy needs harness p/n 26071 and the Dodge would have had either a 26027 or a 26009 harness depending on which style head lights the truck had.
    Not the DRL's, the bulbs in the parking lights on the plow head lights. If you leave the park relay out of the harness, the extra power the plow parking light bulbs will draw put's too much load on the truck wiring, that's why Western used the park light relay in the first place. And, changing them over to LED bulbs will lessen the amp draw they will pull on the truck wiring.

7. johnp

johnp Junior Member
    from toronto

OK B&B. I do have the right wiring harness for the chevy lights. I was just not sure if the actual lights on the plow needed to be changed. I herd when at the western dealership that if I went with the ultra mount then the light had to be changed I don't know why and I think I don't need to know as I managed to get a unimount for the chevy and the wiring harness too. Just the relays and DRL module were missing. I used the wiring diagram at the above site to connect the light harness and the control/plow harness with the relays and came to find out that the DRL module was missing (actually I originally thought the DRL module was a part of the truck and even when looking for it on the truck) Ha Ha Ha..
    If I remove the DRL bulbs from the plow will that be OK. if not the LED bulb any idea were I can get them, are they easily available.

Thx B&B advise is much appreciated.:waving:

8. johnp

johnp Junior Member
    from toronto

I think I got it wrong again. In the plow we have one main light with the high beam and low beam next to this we have the amber or orange indicator lights. I think this is what you are referring too. The 2 bulbs behind the orange reflector are 2 way bulbs for indicator and DLR/park lights. Is this correct? I would be checking this out tomorrow. so please bare with me. Must log off
    once again thanks for the advise.:sleeping:

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Your getting closer John :D.

I think your confused on the whole relay thing..the park relay will work without the DRL module or DRL relay..
    The park light relay can be used or not used, it's your choice. as it won't be affected by not using the DRL module and relay.
    They are for 2 completely different things...

But, if you do omit the park light relay, swap the amber lights on the plow over to LED's..The amber bulbs beside the head lights are the ones I'm talking about changing over to LED's if you don't install the parking light relay in the harness.

10. johnp

johnp Junior Member
    from toronto

Hey B&B Just to get back to you the torsion bar adjustment worked well. I have the clearance I need now. Truck looks a little on the high side but cool. Haven't done the lights yet will be attempting it next. I will get back to you with the results. :salute:

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Good deal John.. keep us posted and don't hesitate to ask if you have anymore questions...

12. johnp

johnp Junior Member
    from toronto

Hey B&B we got our first blast of the white stuff today. I managed to get my plow hooked up and working less the lights. It feels that its riding a little higher than the dodge. But I can live with that doesn't drop down at the front with the plow weight. As my son said today the plow looks good.
    About the lights I wonder if you may know which color indicator wire do I tap into. Also Coming back to the DRL Module, If you take a look at the wiring diagram at the above site I have completely omitted the 2 relays # 5 and 6. I have One brown wire left over from the harness and the other feed were coming from the other relays and going to the Park Lights and DRL have all been left out. Is this going to work and remember no DRL module :confused:

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The colors on the truck you need are:
    Rt turn: dark blue
    Lt turn: light blue
    Park lights: brown

If you pull the headlights out you will be able to get into the turn and park wires there...
    Sure John. it'll work with out the park and DRL relays, you simply wire it like the truck doesn't have any DRL's at all..no big deal...I'll help you with it...

14. johnp

johnp Junior Member
    from toronto

you simply wire it like the truck doesn't have any DRL's at all

I have already set up the relays 1-4. Do I need to connect any other wires ie the DRLs or the Park Light. In the Wiring diagram the Brown that connect to the park lamp comes off of Relay 5 (Although I do have one brown that goes back to the harness which is not used at the moment) and the red which need to be connected through a diode comes off of Relay 6. Both these relays are not existing according to me.

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The red wire with the diode won't be needed...
    The brown wire that would have been connected to the park relay is not needed either...
    The other "loose" brown wire should go to your parking lights on the truck (will be a brown wire on you truck also)..this is the wire that feeds the plow park lights and trips the headlight relays when the plow is connected.

16. johnp

johnp Junior Member
    from toronto

Hey B&B got the indicators to work thanks. I have the power to connect through the 15 amp fuses and I should be set to and from the solenoid and the relays (by the way where do I take the power from on the solenoid). Oh and the brown to the park lights is also left to connect. I was unable to do anything today as I had windshield replaced and too cold. I will keep you informed as to my progress. :)

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You can connect the battery cable on the solenoid to either of your batteries. Or at the positive junction box that's near the left front of the engine (where the alternator wire connects to the positive battery cable running to the starter. Should be in a red plastic box)

Sound's like your doing fine so far, keep us updated on your progress..

18. johnp

johnp Junior Member
    from toronto

Hello B&B I think all is almost done. Just one snag, you mentioned the brown wire for the park lights. I think one of these wires is the one wire left unconnected from the plow harness (brown wire). I think that I was supposed to tap into a brown wire in the truck lights harness but I could not locate a brown on the trucks lights. (I could be wrong as it is at night I am doing this.)
    So as I read it I should be connecting this last brown wire to a brown wire on the trucks lights. :eek:
    Am I making any sense?

19. johnp

johnp Junior Member
    from toronto

One last thing. I connected two 15 amp fuse red wires from relay 1 and 2 to the battery positive junction box on th truck. Is that OK? The instructions point to connect to the battery side of the motor relay. (Avoid running these wires around the truck)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2007
  20. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The park light wire on the truck will be a brown wire. If you pull the head light out and look down behind the parking light you should see a brown wire there somewhere.

You should also have two browns coming out of the plow harness. One should go to two of the relays. The other is the one you need to connect to the trucks parking light wire (brown wire on truck like I said)