1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need help with western cabel control

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by brianslawncare, Jan 11, 2007.

1. brianslawncare

brianslawncare Junior Member

need help western plow cabel control will not work up or down or left or right. purchased the truck and plow in late october and everything worked fine. went to hook up today and nothing. not that there is any snow in pa but just getting thing ready. maybe we will see snow in march or april. thanks for the help brian.

2. Rickco

Rickco Member

First thing to check is power from the solenoid. First clean all the connectors real good,ground too.now test voltage on the Batt. side of the noid. If you have juice there then,with a helper check for voltage on the plow side of the noid. Most likely you won't have any. This means bad solenoid. When you replace it go to the dealer and get the right one. Don't screw around with a auto parts store ford starter noid,it will drive you nuts. They will tell you they are the same but please trust me they are NOT! check it out and let me/us know what you find. It's no big deal.
    Be careful when testing the plow It could move at any second

3. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

Redneck Test

You can also try to carefully take the primary wire off the solenid post from the lift and touch it to the hot/battery post of the solenoid with a helper in the cab pushing the joystick up or to angle. If it works as above it is the solenoid or a bad ground. Be certain you have a good ground on the joystick control as well as the solenoid. If the grounds are good, the solenoid is bad. Get the proper solenoid. BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU DO THIS, BE AT THE SIDE OF THE TRUCK NOWHERE NEAR THE PLOW AS IT COULD MOVE! WEAR SAFTEY GLASSES OR GOGGLES AS YOU COULD GET A SPARK!

4. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Need more info. Do you hear it click or anything like the motor running? Check the easy stuff 1st like your power connections and fuses. You may also want to check the cables themselves they do break sometimes and you need to replace it.

Good luck it looks like we will all get some stuff to play with soon.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Check to make sure you're getting good grounds. That unit is controlled on the ground side. Did you change the battery and forget to hook the plow power wire up? We see at least one of those every year.

6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

If I remember from my last western cable control pump the solenoid is a negative trigger.
    The T bar controller has to have a good ground. Anytime you move the T-bar it triggers the pump to run and the cable position chooses what function is done.Check all the wires too.

7. brianslawncare

western cabel control

no i dont here anything running or pump working. i did not change the battery either. i purchased the truck and plow in late october and it worked when i brought it home. i checked the control cabels and they are not broken. the wires are all cleaned and the battery cabels are clean. is there a way to check the solinoid before you buy one because you cannot return them? thank you guys for all the help we need more people like you in this world. thanks again brian.

8. IndySnowPlow

IndySnowPlow Senior Member
    from Indiana

With the "joystick in the center - neutral position" Jump the battery side of the relay to the output cable going to the plow motor...does the plow pump engage ? if so, then ground the small lead ::::the one that the joystick connects too (black wire) to a good ground and see if it engages the plow pump.

MAKE SURE YOU ARE NOT STANDING ANYWHERE WHERE THE PLOW CAN MOVE AND SMASH YOU IN BETWEEN THE TRUCK & PLOW.

9. brianslawncare

western cabel control

thank you guys it was the solinoid it works great now we only need some snow in pennsylvinia.

10. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I hope you bought a spare solenoid (apparently they go bad). If something brakes I buy 2 (within reason) that way I have a spare and I ain't twiddling my thumbs in the middle of a storm waiting for the parts store to open!!

11. MickiRig1

The Western I had worked For many many hours at a time. The only problem I had was after 12 hours with the heavy spring on the controller. It felt like you were lifting the plow with your right arm.

12. zippy3497

zippy3497 Junior Member

Hey.....my wife broke after just 8years of marriage....man I wish I could have a spare sometimes LOL :eek:

13. brianslawncare

wife broke

dont you think one headache is enough .i would rather have a spare plow.:gunsfiring:

14. MickiRig1

My Wife's lasted almost 17 years. But She's had 4 surgeries and takes 4 medications a day now. If She was an old truck I'd trade her in !