1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help with tractor setup

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by cmo18, Jan 15, 2012.

1. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

I have a Kioti DK 55 with a 8 ft push box and a blower on back. The tractor has been working good however I have some longer pushes that need to be done and its having a hard time. Last storm ended with rain and it was having a hard time making 100ft pushes or larger. It would loose traction and have to dump of to the side and start over. Real time consuming and end up not doing such a good job.

I think a good solution is to have a blade put on. My question for the tractor guys whats all involved in adding a few more valves to control the blade? I went with the box pusher because it connect easily with my quick attach and no other valves needed. Is it expensive to add more valves and a fish stick? Another pump?

The push box works excellent for clean up but not been able to angle the box is a huge disadvantage for bigger lots. I know there is the Kage system or a plow with sides etc but there very hard to find used and way to much money new for me right now.

I found a 10ft vee but I didnt jump on it soon enough. Thanks for the help, this site is awesome!

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=132006

Pictures of the tractor pushing small storm. The recent storm was about 6" and wet at the end.

2. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Maybe adding wheel weights(front and back) or filling the tires(front and back) could fix this problem.?.?

3. Jacobsmovinsnow

Jacobsmovinsnow Senior Member

Ya got a blower on the back, USE IT.

4. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

Blower is to slow, weight are an option

What involved in adding a valve or two to the front?

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

You can just run hydraulic hose up the loader arms and to the back of the tractor. You would never install a pump or truck harness on the loader well at least I never would. Your tractor should have no problem pushing an 8ft box. Do you raise the loader when you start to loose traction until you blade is just touching the ground.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  6. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

I didn't mean install a truck harness, but would like to know whats involved to install more remotes for the front?
    all my rear remotes are been used with the blower. Is it a big job to add more remotes for the front?

Yes the operator is adjusting the loader when loosing traction. It does fine in small pushes but the longer ones is where it has trouble.

7. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

Also once the quick attach is hooked up can I detach the bucket hydraulics and use the loader stick to angle the blade?

8. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Why would you not start by adding some weight to the front & rear wheels, before throwing a bunch of money at it with remotes/hyd lines? Adding weight would be very cheap & easy to do, compared to your other idea....besides, it appears a push box is much more efficient than a blade, according to the pics you posted in the other thread..?.?...

Something tells me if you mount an 8ft or 9ft blade, not add any weight to the wheels, you will get pushed around anyway when attempting to windrow(on the heavier snow events).?????

9. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

No doubt weight is an issue but will an extra 150lbs per wheel if that help the tractor push a full box through snow 100ft?

Also I can purchase a blade fairly cheap that would allow me to windrow allowing me to make the 100ft pushes etc..but from the responses its not the best way to go.
    Thanks for the responses I'm shopping for more weight, how much do plates go for? Is there aftermarket ones available?

10. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Maybe...Probably...Either way its going to help out alot, and would be well worth doing imo.

11. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

your gona hate to hear this but if you bought new R-4 tires your problems would be gone. My 4720 deere couldn't move a 8.5 foot box full of snow move then 20'. I put R-4's on it and it just goes and goes with NO loss of traction at all. I just fly with the thing in high gear.

On a few drive ways the wheels spin but im going up super super steep hills. I may have mine filled with beet juice and then i know it will be all set.

12. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

If you filled the rear tires it would be more than 150lbs of added weight. It would be more like 500lbs per rear tire. Lack of weight is your issue. I had a 7ft pusher but was taller than yours on a 50hp tractor and I could push it full of wet snow without losing traction as far as I wanted. Get the tires loaded and you will no longer have any issues.

13. newhere

from Fenton

fill them and add bolt on rim weights.

14. Jacobsmovinsnow

Jacobsmovinsnow Senior Member

What make of blower do you run. Maybe then I will understand. Dont know if you out in the open but the advantage of a blower is that you get away from banking snow so when it drifts snow it wont dump it deep in your drive as the height of the banks. If its not designed like a Normand or Pronovost, I can see it would take to long. Get one witha rotationg drum and airmail over 50 feet away

15. grsp

grsp Member
    from indiana

we have a kubota m7040 that has a blizzard plow mounted right to the frame. the main problem with having a pusher attached directly to the loader arm is that when you start to fill the box with snow, the resistance starts to push the front end of the tractor up in the air. then you start to lose the traction from the front wheels. not to mention that the steering starts to suck when this happens also. an accident waiting to happen. also, the risk of bending your loader arms is very high. so in my opinion, taking the loader arms off and mounting the plow right to the frame is a better bet. and then you don't need all those expensive extra valves. the great folks at Ebling make the frame mounts for the blizzard plow. but i'm sure any fab guy can mount any brand plow to the tractor frame. the one and only own fall to this setup is maybe not being able to stack snow as high.

16. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

Ive looked into filling the tires but its hard to find the right fluid in bulk that wont rust the rims out. Anyone know an estimate to how many liters a rear tire would take?

17. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

Called around today to try and purchase wheel weights and the Kioti dealer said there is none made for them.

Any aftermarket ones out there?

18. newhere

from Fenton

any good agriculture dealer can fill thouse tires. They dont use calcium chloride anymore, they use a solution made from beet juice so it wont rust the rims. All they need to know is the size of the tires to give you a price. Its not something you want to do on your own, it takes a special pump to do it.

you will be right around 500-600 to fill all 4. And keep in mind this will weigh WAYYYYY more then wheel weights and the weight is directly on the ground and not on the axle being transferred to the ground, this makes a big difference. If they dont make wheel weights just forget them and fill the tires, i bet you will be just fine.

19. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

I'm going to call around tomorrow. Most tractor shops around here send tractors out to get them filled and it seems like everyone around here still uses calcium chloride and are just adding tubes. How much weight am I looking at adding if I get all 4 filled?

20. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

I don't know the volume of your tires, but it's about 10 pounds a gallon... so it adds up fast.