1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help with Traany cooler fan

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Rcgm, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

:dizzy: Ok would like some help here I have a 04 chevy 1/2 ton with a stock tranny cooler it is small somewhere around 6x6 give or take.I want to mount a little electric fan on it but all I can find is 10" at the smallest around at the auto stores. My buddy said put a computer fan on it yal am sure that would go out first rain or snow. So any ideas on what kind of fan to use and where I can get one locally?I just want to run it to a switch so i can turn it on and off.It has to be a 12 volt correct?

Thanks for your help
    RCGM
    Brad

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

A computer fan would die the first time it got wet.
    Your cooler should be the first thing in the air stream so it should be getting enough air. Make sure the the fins are not crimped shut from rock hits etc. If it's a real issue with you, buy a big towing cooler and install it. Look into a temp gage for your transmission so you can monitor it's temp.
    If you plow with the truck adding a fan would also add amp draw on the charging system.
    More strain it does not need.
    If your having over heating issues with the truck it may need the fan clutch replaced. This was an issue with GM trucks in the recent past.

3. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

If your truck has the same cooler as my 01 Yukon, You should have plenty of cooling capacity. My cooler has 2 tanks with many small flat tubes running between, then fins covering all the tubes. This is a super efficient heat exchanger, as long as you have the correct fan clutch you will be fine....

4. zapster

zapster Member

unless its a dragster why would you want a electric fan on a tranny cooler in the first place??:confused:

...zap!

5. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

I was ready some back post and some people mentioned that adding a fan would help keep it cooler. I have no overheating problems and didn't have any overheating problems when I drove my truck home from plow shop when it was 70 degrees.Sounds like I don't need a fan then but htanks for your responses.Also its no dragster:D

Thanks and take care all.
    Brad
    RCGM