1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help with time estimate.

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by rpm, Aug 8, 2009.

1. rpm

rpm Junior Member

I am a newbie and need to have a quote in on this property by this upcoming Tuesday.
    I have no idea yet what to charge to cover expenses but for the sake of getting this quote in I feel I should charge at least $125.00 an hour. There is limited space to pile snow ( primarily the 2 front corners and the lot is rather congested. There are sidewalks and building entrances which will require a 2nd man and a snowblower and shovel. Can anyone give me an idea of the time required to plow this lot and possibly what you would charge.
    Thanks,
    Bob

Attached Files:

2. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Well I think you can plow that in pretty close to an hour at most. Sidewalks and patios would take about a half hour maybe a little more. I would figure around $125-180 per push which would include sidewalks, using your rate.

3. rpm

rpm Junior Member

Time estimate

Thank You for the time estimate Brants Lawn Care. Would you step your pricing according to how deep the snow is when you arrive? 3" of snow would be easier to move and pile than 12". Then would you charge extra for salt?
    Thanks,
    Bob

4. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Yes if you are charging per push you should charge more if the snow is deeper. If you are plowing by the hour, it automatically will cost more because it will take you longer. I sub out my salting but as a ballpark idea, last year the cost to salt a lot was very close to the cost to plow it.

5. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Well in my contracts I put something like, "The snow will not be allowed to accumulate past 6" or the amount you have selected, before it is plowed."

So I don't have to worry about it taking to much longer than a smaller storm. To me, 12" is just to much to plow and it's hard on equipment and shovelers. But many guys step their pricing in 3" increments or so. I don't do this to much, but would if someone asked.

Brant