1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need help with this lot

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Brando55, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Brando55

Brando55 Member

This is my first year doing commercial snow clearing. I have a chance to bid on a 33000 sq ft lot for plowing and salting. I live in St. John's Newfoundland Canada so anyone that could help me with the pricing for this it would be great.

2. Brando55

Brando55 Member

do you bid by sq ft or by how long you think it will take to complete?

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

There's really no difference. Area drives hours required. Do you have a pic of the lot? A big square is tougher to plow than long and narrow.

What are the bid specs? Hourly, per push, per storm, per season?

How do you intend to salt this lot?

4. Brando55

Brando55 Member

the price is per season. i plan on using a v box spreader.

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Are you going to put the v-box in your half ton? Do you have one, what size?

6. Brando55

Brando55 Member

ok well that didnt really help me with where to start from. what do some of you charge by the sq ft.

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I don't, I'm not selling real estate.

You only charge by the square foot if you're in construction or real estate.

8. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

if you do not want to add assistance to the question at hand then DO NOT respond

no need to turn the discussions into a joke...yes, members can use the "search" feature as everyone on here suggests, however, if they decide to post a question, you do not need to respond just to throw in unnecessary comments

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If you do some looking around at recent posts of this nature, you will see that pricing can be very localized. First of all, you need to determine if you are equipped to handle this lot. A conventional v-box with a ton of salt in it is going to crush your half ton pickup. A 7.5 plow is quite small for this style lot. After the third or fourth pass, you will be having a lot of snow fall in behind the blade, which you will be running over. Wings may help some, it they are available/suitable for your plow. Still need a pic or description of the lot.

As for bidding, you can start by estimating how long you think it will take you to plow each time. How many times do you need to plow for a typical storm, and how many storms does your area usually get. Take your total hours and multiply by your hourly rate.