1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help with the title name

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by monacom9, Nov 30, 2010.

1. monacom9

monacom9 Member

Hey should i put my truck title in my name or my snow plow bussiness name it is a LLC?

2. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Depends.

If you put it in your name, you can lease it to your company and use that expense as a ride off.

3. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

If its in your name you avoid DOT too

4. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Gotta be careful though. You still need to put commercial plates on the truck. At least here in IL. As soon as you get in an accident the law will look at that first.

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

ask your attorney and accountant

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Yes.

Be careful keeping it in your name ,if something happens while using that truck they maybe able to come back to your personal assets.So set up your business to protect yourself.

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Most commercial insurance companies require the company (LLC) name on the registration.

Why take the protections/tax advantages of an LLC if you are not going to use them.:confused:

Talk to the account or lawyer that helped you set up your LLC about the right path for your particular situation.

8. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

The research I did shows LLC only offers protection if its not a one man show. Any info on this?

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Often incorrectly called a "limited liability corporation" (instead of company), it is a hybrid business entity having certain characteristics of both a corporation and a partnership or sole proprietorship (depending on how many owners there are). An LLC, although a business entity, is a type of unincorporated association and is not a corporation. The primary characteristic an LLC shares with a corporation is limited liability, and the primary characteristic it shares with a partnership is the availability of pass-through income taxation. It is often more flexible than a corporation and it is well-suited for companies with a single owner.

Every state has slightly different regulations, check with your accountant or lawyer to find the specific requirements for your state.