1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need help with strobes

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by APLC, Oct 12, 2009.

1. APLC

APLC Senior Member

I want to purchase some strobes online I'm looking at either Whelen or Sho-Me. I'm just wondering how they work I see in the description they have power supply and lights and leads, but do you need to get switches for the to work or what just looking for some input. i have a lot of experience with electronics in vehicles but never any strobes thanks for the help in advance :nod:
  2. jeff52984

jeff52984 Member

I just bought and installed a 4way 60watt sho me strobe kit local (store) to me install was a breeze. I think mine cam with a switch pretty much everything I needed besides zip ties and extra wire. My kit ran $162.00 plus $20 for the extra 30' of wire. Kits only come with 4 15' runs of wire. I dont mess with wiring too much but installed my own plow so figured I would give it a shot installing this seeing as how they wanted $380 for the install
  3. chuckraduenz

chuckraduenz Senior Member

whelen supplys have input wires to control either 2 or four strobes at a time. if you want them to all come on. just one swich will be needed. but if you want to control the groups seperite you will need 2 switches.

the cables are sheilded agenst RF. and have amp-n-mate plugs on each end. most kits come with 15ft cables. there easy to install. you have to cut holes in the headlight and taillight houseing for the tubes. the run the cables from the tubes to the control box. dont knick the cables, and seal the plugs with dielectric grease and silicone to keep water out and the connectors from coroding. this will make things not work if not done right.

get power from the battery, or a good 15-20amp power sorce for the supply.

you will need a 1" hole saw for the tubes holes
    dielectric grease
    12v power wire
    1 or 2 12v switches
    the strobe kit
    12v crimp wire connector kit
    if you plan to cut the strobe power cables you will need heat shrink and solder to make a good fix on th cable and to seal from water. (but dont do this unless you really have to)
    loom to protect the cables from wear and rubbing.
  4. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

5. jeff52984

jeff52984 Member

they said in cab behind rear seat but I mounted mine under the dash hope I didnt do something bad
  6. chuckraduenz

chuckraduenz Senior Member

i cant see why you couldnt use that type of silicone. as long as it keeps the water out.

all the install iv done were under the back seat.
  7. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

I may have to mount it under the passenger seat back seat is all taken by amps :D

and yea its a water proof silicone so it should work I guess

will try to get pics and a nice write up for everyone once I am done
  8. fireboy6413

fireboy6413 Senior Member

You can mount the power supply anywhere inside the vehicle, but of coarse where most breathable. What people don't realize is the power supply's need a lot of circulating air to keep them cool. Most of the time they are mounted underneath a seat somewhere. With the silicone, yes you can use it. Also don't forget the 14 gauge red power wire has to go to the batt, of coarse with a 15 amp inline fuse as close to the batt as possible. then you take the 2 switch wires and run the to the switch. The violet wire coming out the pack is the high low option. I always connect that to a switch, especially if your out plowing at night and you dont want the full power of each bulb.