1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need help with spreader/truck information

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by shadow, Feb 9, 2009.

1. shadow

shadow Junior Member
    from iowa

I just bought a 1994 GMC 1 ton dually with the 454 (7.4) engine. I also just won a spreader unit at auction that I have to go get and plan on using with this new truck. The spreader doesn’t have a manufacturer name on it per auction description. How do I find out the maker if no name is on it?? Is there something that is made different about spreaders that would make them easy to identify?

I know absolutely nothing about spreaders.

The ad said it holds approximately two and a half cubic yards (way more than the truck will haul) of material and is hydraulic driven. The cab controls are not included. I have tried looking around online and can’t seem to get anywhere to find info about how to run a spreader or how to hook one up. I found some info about hydraulic models but I found some have a pump by the engine; others have a pump on a PTO. I am lost as to what I would need.

Can anyone help me identify the maker or where I could find info about them?

The same city had Henderson (if I’m remembering the name right) tailgate spreaders for bid also. I would think a city would buy the same brands but who knows when it comes to city people.

I was thinking of cutting off the top ladder rack bar at the rear and leaving the side bars so I could use them for putting a tarp over the spreader or something. The bed is 8’ wide and has tool boxes. Can I leave the tool boxes and have a spreader fit? Or is a spreader really wide? They said the spreader is 8’ long and I have a 9’ 8” long bed so I’m fine there.

Could I just cut the height of the spreader down to make it haul less yards, or would that make it weak or mess something up? I think a yard weighs 1.5 tons so the spreader could haul 3.75 tons. That’s way more than 1 ton. The truck was licensed at 10,000lb and I’m not clear on how they figure the weight.

I am also putting my older Westeren pro plow on the truck so I am a little concerned about overall weight.

If anyone could give me some info, I would greatly appreciate it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. lawnprolawns

lawnprolawns Senior Member

I'm not a spreader expert, but that might be a little goofy trying to get the hydraulics going on that. It's probably made for a dump truck with hyd. hookups at the back already. As for weight, honestly you might be alright loading that bad boy up. I know someone on here put a 1000 gal tank on a 3500 and filled it with cal, that's over 10k pounds alone. I wouldn't travel far with it loaded all the way, but I'm sure the truck ought to hold it.

3. paponte

paponte Senior Member

As far as carrying capacity, I would just cut the extensions off the spreader and use it like that. As for hydraulics, that is going to be a whole other issue for you. You are gong to need a clutch pump to run off the motor, controller, tank, and a bunch of hosing. Just from my experience, I think it would be cheaper and easier to just get yourself a gas driven unit.

4. ford550

ford550 Senior Member

That looks like a Swenson hydrolic spreader.

5. timmy1

timmy1 Senior Member
    from RI

Somebody took a 1.5yd spreader and added sideboards to make it larger. Usually, the bed chains and drive systems are engineered to handle a certain amount of material over them. Loading it up that much over the designed capacity usually results in jamming or breaking something.

6. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

your better to just sell it

putiing a central hydro systm on an older truck like that , just to run a spreader is kinda a waste, unless you find some good used central parts...which i never really see laying around often

7. mvhauler

mvhauler Senior Member

I agree, you should probably sell it and get something different. But if you would like to modify that one, I would suggest you put a gas engine on it(8 to 12 HP) with a centrifigal or electric clutch. I am seriously considering selling my gas unit and am going to a dump insert w/sander, if you are interested. Give me a call (712)-642-2231,if no answer, leave your # and I'll call you. Even if you are not interested, I would be more than happy to discuss your options. 11 years experience. STU.

8. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i agree with selling it, only because it'll cost about $5k for the central system......my buddie uses a electric pump with a short duty cycle for just dumping the bed, don't try it, his is always broke down.....you could probably sell yours for $500 and buy a good gas uint for about $1500 i know i'm an a hole but i hope this helps

9. stonewellmark

stonewellmark Member

I would try to hook up something like whats on a log splitter, a seperate engine driven hydraulic pump. You could mount it at the front of the bed ,infront of the sander ( if the bed is long enough), then just run lines to a hyd. valve in cab then back through cab out to drive motor on spreader. ( use quick connects at the front of bed for easy removal ) Id just mount an engine and appropriate hyd. pump on a steel frame that could be bolted to the bed somehow. Look around for used engine, valve and pump to see if its all worth it.

10. shadow

shadow Junior Member
    from iowa

I got more input then what I expected. Thanks everyone for their advice.:)

I think I would take the extensions off like the suggestion and use it that way if I can get it to run. The ad had said: “new conveyor chain, chain and binders, lights and flow control valve installed. Spreader is hydraulic driven, cab control is not with unit, but can easily be purchased.”
    I was thinking the pump might be on the spreader but I don’t think anyone makes them like that from what I am finding online.

I have a fold under lift gate that has a big pump on it. I wonder if that can power the spreader. The liftgate was off a straight truck so I think it would have the power, but I don’t know anything about hydraulics and if there is a speed requirement the fluid needs to go or what. Winter looks to be over so I have all year to figure something out. Maybe the suggestion of putting a gas motor on it would be easier. I would guess all I would have to do is weld a shaft onto the part that controls the turning.

I would be in the hole if these only bring about $500. I paid a little more than double that for this one I tried looking on ebay and the paper before bidding but most were over $3,000 or so rusted or so far away that this looked like the best deal.:confused:

I just cut some of the bars off the ladder rack and I probably shaved off 300 pounds. They used ¼ inch tubing (or maybe a little bigger). That might help offset the load now. :p I’ve got a 6’ x 9’ 10” opening on the bed so I could maybe mount a engine and pump.

I've got to sell some of my vans and if I do I might get enough to modify this, or get a different unit. I will try and get in contact with you mvhauler to see what you have.

11. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

Any updates on what you ended up doing?

12. fairrpe86

fairrpe86 Senior Member

Pictures.?