1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help with rear leaf springs on 2006 F-250

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by JCark, Nov 7, 2011.

1. JCark

JCark Member

Ive noticed that my rear leaf springs are wearing out on me. Even with no weight in the bed they seem to sag a bit. I was wondering if Ford had some beefier springs I could put in there. Does anyone know If or how I can get a hold of them? by the way, my truck is a supercab short bed with the diesel engine. I know the front springs are 5200# springs which I will upgrade to the 6500# springs. I just don't know anything about the rear leafs.

2. JCark

JCark Member

Come on Superduty experts I need your help !! lol

3. Sabsan84

Sabsan84 Senior Member

your truck looks fairly new, usually your leaf springs should last the life of the truck, how did u wear them out soo fast?? Only thing you can do is go to a spring shop, like palmer spring in Providence, RI, one of the best around, and have them fab up a new beefier set, or fix what you have.

4. JCark

JCark Member

I'm not quite sure, Must have been the previous owner that towed a 5th wheel way too heavy for the truck. I know he did because I took the 5th wheel hitch out and sold it.+

I also know the some 250's came with the 350 springs, but these are the regular 250 springs and I don't have the helper springs or "aux" springs.

5. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

How many miles you have on it.

If you plan replace I go with 6-8 packs not 4. They hold more but ride rough.

I had 2 superduty here.

1 is 99 F250 2wd it had stock rear leaf springs. It bent last 2 1 packs it supposed to be straight flat but mine is curve down. It still work fine with 253K miles but they worn out from potholes in Michigan.

1 is 00 F350 4wd it had aux rear leaf spring so one is broke on driver side it sag. Do you see any rust orange on leaf spring? Do you see any crack or miss packs there.

6. JCark

JCark Member

It only has 45,000 miles on it. I don't see any cracks and the packs look good. They don't have that u shaped curve in them though, they seem like they are too flat. As for the rust, its normal for a 6 year old truck, but my concern is that they are flat and not curved up.

7. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Can you get picture.

Does your look like this? That picture is show it hold Iron Cast Counterweight we estimated 4,500-5,000 pound.Thumbs Up
    [​IMG]

8. JCark

JCark Member

I can get a picture and post it, I have one somewhere with the bed off the truck so ill try and find that once I get out of work and put it on here, I can say its not nearly as severe as that picture.

9. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

WOW that looks just like a friend on mines 250. As a rull of thumb, If your overload springs are real close to or on the stops, your springs are the issue, as long as theres no weight in the truck. Theres a few options, 1 new springs 2 rearche them 3 air helper springs. My friend did the air helper/airbags and he loves them. said it rides so much better then before. hope this helps

10. fordsuvparts

fordsuvparts Senior Member

I installed f550 springs to fix the problem in our f350, worked great very stable, new u bolts and a little custom work
    One evening job, new ones on eBay for about 500 shipped

11. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

We added another leaf and overloads to our 07F250, same issue with sagging. Thing rides rough in the back end now (crew shortbox) but at least it is not sagging and can support some weight now.

12. krikert

krikert Junior Member

have 07 250 had the same problem. ended up putting air bags on this year.

13. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

Albany Spring Service, N. Pearl St.. Watkins Spring, Central Ave.

14. firefighter1406

firefighter1406 Senior Member

The springs on a 250 and 350 are the same springs, the difference is if you have a over load or not and the size of the lift block used. The 350 has a taller block hence the more load it can handle before it is over loaded. You could go with 550 springs like mentioned or airbags. I personally would go with a new set of springs and a set of airbags that way you know you are good to go.

15. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

we picked up a 7leaf pack set to replace the 5leaf pack in our 06 350srw after both sides main leafs broke. about 460 bucks for the pair with new longer ubolts and center bolts. We just replaced the existing overload spring on top of the new pack.

the rear sat 5.5" higher than the front of the truck after it was done. the stocks were about 3500lbs per side the new ones are rated to about 4400lbs per side. ride was stiff as hell, so air bags are a better choice.

16. JCark

JCark Member

I agree airbags are the best solution, but as it turns out there are some issues with my rear leafs because I am seeing bright red/orange in between the leafs. I'm thinking they might be cracked. I think I will replace them with the same ones and put airbags in there too.

17. firefighter1406

My dad had cracked lead springs on his superduty too. Seems common if it was overloaded.

18. JCark

JCark Member

Oh I'm 100% positive mine was before I bought it. I may have overloaded it a bit myself tooThumbs Up

19. firefighter1406

I think we all have with these trucks. :)

20. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

if you're looking for a lightly used set of rear leafs off of a 2004 f250, I've got a set :)