1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help with rattling door

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by RobbieB, Dec 5, 2008.

1. RobbieB

RobbieB Senior Member

05 F-250 FX4 crew cab. My driver's door is not fitting flush, sticks out about 1/8", and rattles anoyingly over bumps. Anyone know how to adjust this in?

2. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

losen the striker bar on the insdide of the door frame and slit it in a hair then re tighten....

3. RobbieB

RobbieB Senior Member

It's not adjustable. I loosened it and tried to move it, there's no slot to adjust.

4. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

OMG, I was going to start a thread with the same exact problem, today.....How weird is that??? Anyway, I have an 04 X-Cab, and the problem is in the door latch, where the two doors meet. A Crew Cab shouldnt have the same problem, but the problem is the door latch. You cant move the striker bar, like you discovered. I dont know if replacing the door latch will fix the problem though.......

5. RobbieB

RobbieB Senior Member

I think I found the problem. Looking at the mechanism it almost looks like the lock arm that rotates around the striker loop is wore out.

6. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

My 99 f250 dose the same thing I have to slam the x-cab doors and then it wont rattle anymore. I looked at new x-cabs and you had to slam the door to stop it from rattling to. Bad design.

7. MAR4CARS

MAR4CARS Senior Member

Alot of cars trucks of today no longer have adjustable latches or strikes Do this at your own risk ... but if the hinges,hinge pins/bushings latch and striker are all in good working order and condition you can make adjustments to a door by placing wood block between door and jam and tweakin the door to correct fitment issues.. sometimes you even need to bend the top of the door above the glass etc ... Do it at your own risk body shops do this all the time. Oh and almost forgot make sure the weather stripping is good and not compressed or damaged sometimes a simple weather strip replacement will cure the issue.

8. Gix1k4

Gix1k4 Senior Member

Just want to add to what MAR4CARS said about bending the top of the door, do it with the window rolled down. I've seen guys break the glass while trying to re-adjust the door with the window up. Never seen it happen to a truck though, just cars, but better safe than sorry i guess.