1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need Help with Pricing

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by mbreaker72, Oct 4, 2013.

1. mbreaker72

mbreaker72 Junior Member
    from CT

I was asked today to give an estimate for snow plowing a street for a little neighborhood that I mow for. I have some plowing experiance just not sure how to charge so, I need some help with pricing this street. They want a price from 2-4in then 4-8in, 8-12 and 12+. The road is about .3 miles long no sidewalks and it would take two passes to clear the road any help would be appreciated. I tried uploading a picture but it did not work for some reason but will try again. Thanks for any help

2. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

You better make sure this is a private road.

Second you better make sure you have insurance if this is the main road coming in to that neighborhood because one accident and your being sued for not doing a proper job.
    Not only the people living there but someone coming to visit them.
    And if it is the main road, I wouldn't do a 4 inch trigger, drop it to a 2 inch trigger and stress the safety issue of this.

Third, what about salting? sand/salt, pure salt, magic salt etc... again safety issue what about icy conditions.

If they still insist on a 4 inch trigger, make sure you put that fact in your contract and put that on them if there are any accidents, same thing if they insist on no sanding.

Indemnification.

The Client shall indemnify, defend and hold harmless the Contractor, employees and subcontractors from and against any and all liabilities, costs, damages, and expenses (including without limitation attorneys' fees and other costs of defense) for injuries to persons or property resulting from any cause related to contractors work in, on or about the clients premises, or any Act of God, including but not limited to extraordinary weather conditions and at their own cost and expense to defend against any action or proceeding against either party arising there from, provided that the contractor has fully and faithfully performed all of it duties hereunder.

Notwithstanding the foregoing, the Client shall not be required to indemnify the Contractor against any damages or injuries suffered as a result of Gross negligence or willful misconduct on the part of the Contractor, employees and subcontractors.

Pricing:

without seeing it hard to say on pricing.

But figure it this way, factor in your time, gas, wear and tear on your truck, insurance.

Charge a plowing fee based on that and then add in the sanding cost -(material cost, salt/sand, pure salt, magic whatever you use).

Just don't jump into it, do your homework and make sure.

good luck

3. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I must be missing something in the OP post where do you see him posting a 4'' trigger

4. Antlerart06

How wide is the road?
    What type of surface is the road?
    How big is your plow ?

At .3 miles My base price be at 75-80 for 2-4'' 125 for 4-8'' 175 8-12'' 12+ 200 Im just guessing with out seeing it in person

5. MSsnowplowing

"They want a price from 2-4in then 4-8in, 8-12 and 12+. The road is about"

Maybe I'm reading it wrong but that looks like a 4 inch trigger to me.

2 inch trigger
    1-2
    3-4
    5-6
    7-8

3 inch trigger
    1-3
    4-6
    7-9

4 inch trigger
    2-4
    4-8
    8-12

6. Antlerart06

I say its 2'' trigger And if he pushes 3 times and storm drops 7'' then he only charges the 4-8'' price
    I say the customer wants a fix pricing But OP needs tell more info
    I few contacts set up 2-4 4-8 8-12 12+ and its 2 '' trigger The price I get to charge is base on the inches of the storm I rather do per visit with 2'' trigger
    If I cant talk the customer out of it then I'll do it there way, If I want the job.
    I still don't see where you get 4'' trigger out of this. His base rate starts at 2''

Like I said I might be missing something or reading in it to much
    I see his rate jumps every 4 '' Only the OP know the trigger

7. Antlerart06

How you get a 2'' trigger out of what you type I see a 1'' trigger since your rate starts at 1'' in my eyes that's a 1'' trigger
    If I have a Contact With a 2'' trigger the first number of the rate is the trigger point

8. MSsnowplowing

Let me clear it up.

I charge per storm based on how many inches we get.

2 inch trigger
    2 inches = 1-2 inches
    4 inches = 3-4 inches
    6 inches = 5-6 inches
    8 inches = 7-8 inches

3 inch trigger
    3 inches = 1-3 inches
    6 inches = 4-6 inches
    9 inches = 7-9 inches
    12 inches = 10-12 inches

I don't do 4 inch triggers.

We always try to push at the trigger amount.

Easy to do with the smaller storms, but get a blizzard that is dropping 3 inches a hour or more like Nemo and you can't keep up plowing every 2 inches or 3 inches because it's dropping faster than you can clear it.

If your charging per push and get behind do you charge them less or do you charge what your contract says even if you didn't do 4 pushes for a 8 inch storm and instead only did 3 based on a 2 inch trigger.

Your pushing the same amount of snow, but you didn't fullfill your contracted duties and if push came to shove they could refuse to pay you for 4 pushes and only pay you for 3 pushes.

Thats why I go on how much snow falls not by the push.

CYAB !!

9. Antlerart06

So looking at your 3 '' trigger so if you get 2'' of snow you don't push since its not 3'' for the trigger
    Im trying understand your thinking
    Shouldn't your rate be for a 3'' trigger
    Start at 3'' not 1''

I do a per visit or a Base price up to 4'' and every 2'' over the 4'' I get $$ every 2'' +the base This can be a 1'' or 2'' trigger depending on what they want
    I have one job has no trigger

Its nice learning how others price stuff Im lost on yours. Not trying be a pain I just dont understand

10. MSsnowplowing

So looking at your 3 '' trigger so if you get 2'' of snow you don't push since its not 3'' for the trigger
    Im trying understand your thinking
    Shouldn't your rate be for a 3'' trigger
    Start at 3'' not 1''

I do a per visit or a Base price up to 4'' and every 2'' over the 4'' I get $$ every 2'' +the base This can be a 1'' or 2'' trigger depending on what they want
    I have one job has no trigger

Its nice learning how others price stuff Im lost on yours. Not trying be a pain I just dont understand
    ------------------

No worrys.

What I do for the first 3 inches is this.

1 inch storms are sanded.

If the contract has a 3 inch trigger and we only get 2 inches, I still plow it depending on the conditions.

Example.
    2 inch storm and then it starts raining. I know it's going to melt off so I don't plow.

2 inch storm, colder weather conditions, I plow.

The 3 inch trigger is just a starting place for the bigger storms since I have 2 and 3 inch trigger starts for plowing.

This allows me to stagger my trucks accordenly to the sites.

11. Antlerart06

I'll take your word on it. I be afraid of it not getting paid If I push anything under the 3'' mark with having a 3'' trigger

How many Lots do you have

Sorry to OP hijacking your thread

12. mbreaker72

mbreaker72 Junior Member
    from CT

It is a 2" trigger to start plowing. .2 miles of the road is about 11 ft wide and then is goes down to 9ft wide for the rest of the road. Its a private road and plenty of room on both sides of the road for snow. I have a 7'6" plow so I figured to passes should clear the road. Thank for the help

13. Antlerart06

I figure it was 2'' trigger how the rate was started
    But never know these days Like MSsnowplowing His trigger and his rate doesn't match

I try talk them in to a per visit price with 2'' trigger

14. MSsnowplowing

Hey MB,

So it's a three mile road, first 2 miles is 11ft wide and the last mile is 9 foot long. Thats a long road.

Figure 3 or 4 passes to be safe and what about icy conditions?

I would put sanding in as a must.

Remember people will be driving on this road so you could get packed down snow.

Are there trees that well drop snow into the road and you will have to go back and clean that up?

What about melt off from the side of the road going into it and then refreezing?

Without pictures and seeing it I'm just throwing you some what ifs to think about.

I would also try to get them to use you for clearing their driveways and sidewalks as long as your there.

Rough est without seeing it and plowing every two inches.

1-2 $125
    3-4 $225
    5-6 $325
    7-8 $425
    9-10 $525
    11-12 $625

thereafter $100 every two inches.

Also depends on where you are and what the rates are, you might drop that down by $50 and go up $75 for each 2 inches.

Sanding -(depends on what you use for product and the road, is it straight or hilly, does it get a lot sun or is it shaded)

I'm thinking at least a half ton of mixture for sanding for a 3 mile stretch. Again hard to say, because you want to use a little more product on sloped sections, curves the hot spots for slipping.

Either way good luck in getting it and try for the houses too.

15. mbreaker72

mbreaker72 Junior Member
    from CT

So how would a per visit way work. Do I come at the end of the storm and they pay for one visit. Or do I plow with the storm and let say I come there three times in a 8in storm. Do I charge them three times lets say $75.

16. MSsnowplowing

-----------

Simply, I charge per the storm and how many inches fall.

Not how many pushes I do.

But I calculate that rate based on how many pushes would be done with a 2 or 3 inch trigger.

Does that clear it up now?

And I have enough commercial contracts every year for 4 plow trucks to stay busy.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  17. MSsnowplowing

If you charge per push $75 and only go there 3 times in a 8 inch storm then you can only charge them $225.00 dollars.

If you charge by the storm in inches and it is $75 for every 2 inches. A 8 inch storm you can charge them $300.00

But that doesn't mean you wait till the storm end and then go plow them.
    Some contracts you can do this but for you, a street entrance road, you need to keep up on that and plow it every two inches for safety.

Almost forgot, Don't forget about the entrance !

I'm always having to go back and clear entrances because the town or state comes by and plows them in with snow.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  18. Antlerart06

Say THE op road is .3 miles not even a mile I think you miss the period part

19. Antlerart06

O I understand you charge per storm I do the same But I'm talking about is your trigger start My contacts 2-4 means 2'' trigger If I have 3'' trigger Then my price rate starts at 3'' to 6''
    But your calling 3'' trigger but your price rate starts at 1''-3'' Doesn't read right
    If rate starts with a 1'' that's the trigger and so on If you understand and your customer that what counts.

20. MSsnowplowing

I think your right I missed the period, thought he was just using it to space it out.

Well MB is it 3 miles or .3 miles,

makes a difference in pricing and the time factor for plowing.

I could plow that out in less than 10 minutes if it is .3 miles

And so could you with your plow.