1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help with pricing and equipment

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Icicles, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Icicles

Icicles Junior Member
    from WNY

Hi All,

I am in the midst of starting a snow plowing and ice management business in NY and would like some assistance.

Firstly, I am about to bid on a contract for a 2 mile sidewalk - all portions to the curb including corners and sections where city plows dump snow onto walkways and ramps.

How do I price this out?

Also, I was looking at Ventrac tractors with snow plowing attachments like snow blower, broom, v blade and drop spreader..

Please help. Thanks!
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Have you looked at the bidding section of the site?
  3. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

4. Icicles

Icicles Junior Member
    from WNY

not yet, thanks
  5. Bill Grey

Bill Grey Member

Please find out the insurance requirements of the development you plan to contract for first. They will usually give you something in writing. They do this for all vendors. After you have that, then you can find out what your insurance is going to cost. It will be much more than you expect. Make sure whatever carrier you sign on with knows the true scope of your work. For example, a lot of carriers don't want commercial parking lots and HOA's. If you're in with a company that only covers for residential and plowing of roads and a claim occurs, they won't pay. Secondly, with the prevalence of slip and fall lawsuits, please make sure your company is incorporated or setup as an LLC or you will be personally liable in the event of a suit.

Sorry for the long answer but this is what I do for contractors everyday.

Intac_468x60_1014 (2).jpg