1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help with plow choice

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by sulkyracer, Nov 29, 2004.

1. sulkyracer

sulkyracer Junior Member

I have a :

2004 Dodge Ram 2500
    Diesel engine
    4x4 / Quad cab
    Extended 8 foot bed

I was told with this truck, the Fisher and Western commercial grade plows were not available to me. I believe Meyer and Diamond(same company correct?) may have an 8' commercial grade compatible with my truck.

Is this info I have so far correct????
    Does anyone have any suggestions about other plows that may be suitable for my truck????

Thanks in Advance
    Tony

2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Fisher and Western both have a plow for that truck. The reason for them NOT recommending one is because of the long wheel base and weight of the diesel engine.

3. moel

moel Junior Member

i got hiniker 8' plow, have not plowed with it yet - installed in April

4. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

This is not a issue with a newer Dodge as they beefed up the front axle in 03 and it is the strongest one in use in a a P/U at the moment.

5. Stark_Enterprises

Stark_Enterprises Senior Member

Go with A Fisher HD 8'0" or 8'6" EZ-V ! Can't go wrong with them, And thats BS who ever told you, that you couldn't put a fisher or Western on that Truck!

6. green leaf

green leaf Junior Member

green leaf

I have a dodge 2500 extended cab long box with the diesel. I just bought a new 7-6 western pro. I chose the 7-6 because I have a lot of residential accounts and it is a little more practical. The dealer told me that with my wheel base and the weight of the diesel it would be better for the 7-6, they did tell me that I could go 8' but not any bigger or heaver like a v plow. It seems like a waste of engine and truck if you can not put a big plow on if you need it. Don't know if this helps but good luck.

7. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Go here www.westernplows.com check out there quick match system. If it was me, blizzard 810, hands down. Unless you get 3 foot snowfalls, then go v blade for breaking trail. Nothing touches the 810 for production, and yes you can do drives too. The extra width will help on them twistey, horshoe drives too !!! :) 7'6" is great for small stuff but that is it. The truck will handle the added weight ! Its overweight with everything but a 7'6", and frankly this will not do justice for this truck. The Cummins is the only industrial diesal available in a pickup, this thing is made to work.
    Oh and Tarkus, I dont think American Axle is better then a Dana.
    Just my 2 cents
    Todd

Last edited: Nov 29, 2004
  8. sulkyracer

sulkyracer Junior Member

Dodge website Specs

I went to the Dodge Website. Followed Ram truck to For Your Business. Then to Agriculture and Lawn Care, then to Snow Plowing. Using my Truck specs:

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie
    Diesel engine
    4x4 / Quad cab
    Extended 8 foot bed

The chart lists it as N/R. Not recommended for Snow Plowing. I find it hard to believe this truck is not able to plow snow, but I certainly don't want to void my warranty. Any suggestions? I think they are saying the weight of the diesel engine with the long drive train and chassis is a no-no.

Thanks for all who have replied!!!!

9. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

they are full of s h i t, a sub of mine has a 03 with the diesel quad cab and a 8' box and he has a 8'2" Boss V on his... no problems yet

10. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Dodge had a lot of problems in the late 90's and early 00's with premature axle pivot joint wear in Cummins powered truck with plows because the engine is very heavy to begin with. In 03 the swapped the D60 out for a AAM front axle that is stronger than a 60 and has beefed up pivot joints too but I guess the jury is still out on it corperate wise. I know some people like oil burners but you must remember the total weight on front end too. A gas truck with a nine foot plow is going to have a lot less weight on the front axle than a diesel powered Dodge with a 7 1/2 footer by design but the new axle should hold up if you keep plow size reasonable. This is one of the reason why I never use oil burners myself for pushing snow in pickups as I do not like rebuilding front axles as I keep trucks for a long time too.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2004