1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help with pivot pin/plate configuration for max height w/Ultramount on 08 Tundra

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Howlinjohn, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Howlinjohn

Howlinjohn Junior Member

I have a 8' Pro Plow Ultramount that I installed my self on my 2008 Tundra Double Cab. With 300lbs of ballast, the plow frame still hangs a bit low. I got the Installation instructions from Western website. Currently, the pivot pins are in Configuration 2 as it lines up with the Pivot Plate (bottom hole with bevel side up). Looking at the installation instructions, Confirguation 1 (second hole from bottom on Pivot Plate with bevel side up) looks to allow for the plow frame to hang a bit higher up.
    Did I read the Western instructions correctly, does Configuration 1 allow for max height? Does anyone on here have an Ultramount setup on a 2007-2012 Tundra? What hole on the Pivot Plate (configuration) works best for you?

2. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Ballast shouldn't affect your plow frame height.
    You aren't measuring with the plow RAISED, are you? Because it should be measured with the plow LOWERED or OFF.

3. Howlinjohn

Howlinjohn Junior Member

With no ballast, and plow off, the measurement from ground to top edge of receiver bracket is 13". Western instructions say that measurement corresponds with Configuration 1, which is second hole from bottom plate with pivot plate bevel up.
    Currently in Config 2 because that's the way it was set up when I bought the plow used. With bolts removed. the pivot pins are stuck pretty good. Figured I'd check with you guys before I break out the hammer and chisels to make sure it's best to move pins from Config 2 to Config 1.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Does Kannada have negative gravity? If so, you might want to move to Canada with the rest of them.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

True, but a properly applied counterweight will.

You want to set your mount at the proper height when the truck is in the plowing configuration, so if you carry a pallet of material then it should be in the bed when you check your measurement. Same for whatever kind of counter weight you carry.

6. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Huh? I can tell you if I drop my plow with tanks empty and refill (200gals) before hooking up I will have a harder time lining up and down to rehook the plow.

Op, those pins should move freely are proper operation of your Plow. If the pins are rusted up or are restricted in their movement, it will make it more difficult to attach or detach.