1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help with picking a plow truck

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by GMC MAN 122389, Mar 30, 2009.

1. GMC MAN 122389

GMC MAN 122389 Junior Member

Im new to the "snow removal" business. Ive been doing lawn care and own a 2008 GMC 1500 truck but its 2wd. So thats not helping me. Im wondering what to expect when to buy a used plow truck. What to look for, or what am I looking at money wise to buy a reliable one? If I could get some answers that'd be great! Thanks again
  2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

What kind of plowing are you going to do?
    parking lots or driveways?
    If driveways, what are the shapes of the driveways? if the driveways are narrow and curve, a small truck or jeep.
  3. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Youre going to get a different answer from every person who posts. Personally, I do about 75% parking lots and 25% driveways. You can see my truck and plow in my sig. It works great on parking lots and straight driveways but the set up is too big for some of my circle and u shaped drives. I would get the most "built" truck you can. By that I mean get a 3/4 ton instead of a 1/2 ton if you are on the fence... get a diesel insted of a gasser if you are on that fence.
  4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Trade your 2wd for a 3/4 ton 4X4 and you can use it all year long fo work and write it off.
    Plow brand is up to you but dealer service is more important then brand of plow.
  5. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

If you are to buy a used truck with a plow on it already... make sure to be careful about checking the truck over because some of these guys that dont know how to plow really beat the sh*t out of these trucks.
  6. GMC MAN 122389

GMC MAN 122389 Junior Member

okay, thanks for the responses guys. I think I am going to keep my new truck only because I got a VERY good deal on it. For plow trucks, I am looking to buy used with a plow already on it. Im in Michigan so if anyone has something they would want to sell that is affordable shoot me a message!
  7. MJD82

MJD82 Member

It all depends on how you set the truck up. The guy I plowed for this winter had a 94 gmc 3500 5.7 8' uni mount with an 8' monroe v-box an 05 ford f-250 5.4 7'6" ultra mount and an 89 gmc 2500 5.7 7'6" uni mount the ford was the quickest it did well as long as it had a half of bed of salt or more but was harder to scrape radius ed curbs because of the short plow 2 or three passes would clean it up. The 3500 even with the v-box empty would push through any thing, but it was harder to maneuver especially with the 8 ft plow and much slower even empty and the 2500 with out enough ballast in it didn't scrape for s#%t . But all did the job. So with all that said I preferred the ford but its more expensive to repair than the chevys. So what i'm getting at after all this rambling probubly any of the big three in a 3\4 ton size with a quality plow will do the job if it is set up right. So if it comes down to buying used have the truck checked out before its purchased by a trusted tech and get maintenance records if you can. hope this drawn out story can help.:waving:
  8. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

How much are you looking to spend?