1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need Help with Older plow setup

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by MrPlow705, Nov 25, 2014.

1. MrPlow705

MrPlow705 Junior Member
    from Sudbury

I recently purchased a used plow and set up and am looking for some information and assistance in setting it up.

As you can see in the pictures, it is an oldschool cable actuated pump. The joystick has two push/pull cables aswell as a single electrical wire which is about the same length as the cables and has a terminal type connection. The pump itself, I would like to know some info on it, if any. It has a two large gauge wires with terminal connections on them aswell. I am wondering how to go about setting this up.

I do not know where the blue wire comming from the joystick is supposed to go. Also, do the big wires from the pump go straight to the battery?

If someone could explain to me how this system works, and when the pump will be running It would help. I would assume the pump will run only when the joystick is moved?

Any help is appreciated, sorry for the most likely obvious questions!
    photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 3.jpg

photo 4.jpg

photo 5.jpg
    Thanks

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 3.jpg

photo 4.jpg

photo 5.jpg

2. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

3. MrPlow705

MrPlow705 Junior Member
    from Sudbury

solenoid

Okay, so would i need to buy this?

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Round-Post-Solenoid-56131/dp/B008RMU7S8

I read the manual, but am lost to how the solenoid works. The schematic says ground through control cable, so does it go power from battery, to solenoid, then from solenoid to the pump, and on the third post the blue wire from the joystick connects to it?

Thank you, much appreciated.

4. linckeil

from CT

yes, you definetly need a solenoid (sometimes called a relay). make sure you get one designed for a plow like you posted in the link.

here is the long version of the manual. for how to hook up the solenoid, see pages 3-1 and 3-4.

solenoids are a simple device that allow 2 small wires to activiate a switch which then connects 2 much larger wires.

in the example of this plow, the small red wire gets constant power from the battery side of the solenoid. the small black wire from your controller is the ground. when you move the controller up, left, or right, a ground connection is made and sends that ground to the solenoid - so now the solenoid has both a positive and a ground traveling to it. this activates the solenoid and effectively connects the 2 large wires on the solenoid, thus running you plow motor, which in turn spins the plow pump. i'm sure a quick google search can explain it better than me. there's probably even videos on youtube that illustrate it really well. if your working on this plow, its important to understand solenoid operation.

5. linckeil

from CT

6. MrPlow705

MrPlow705 Junior Member
    from Sudbury

Okay, thank you for the explanation. The only problem I'm seeing is that my controller on has one wire comming from it. Or do the physical cables to control the pump act as the "small ground wire"?

Thanks :). I'll order that solenoid tonight. I found it by searching the part number located on the schematic. So that will be all I need hypotheticly?

7. roadrr

roadrr Junior Member

in theory the control cables make a "ground" when you move the controller up, or side to side. I just had this issue with mine, I looked around here and its recommended that you take your controller apart,(4 screws on bottom) then on the piece that the handles screws into theres a metal terminal with 3 contacts on it, one for up and two for side to side, also theres a screw on the side that holds this metal on, hook a ground wire to that screw and ground it, they say to the battery, I did mine to the motor ground. took care of my problem. good luck this can be tricky.

8. MrPlow705

MrPlow705 Junior Member
    from Sudbury

Hmm

So ive found two possible solenoids to purchase. After looking over the short and long versions of the manual ive found two wiring schematics with slightly different solenoids. The one with the red wire jumping the terminals, is that just essentially creating a three post solenoid? Im not sure which one two buy. The four post one looks the exact same as the one in the manual, but the three post one looks the same as the one in the exploded parts schematic. Someone please let me know!

three post :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Snow-Pl...05&prg=11353&rk=1&rkt=6&sd=271120814799&rt=nc

Four post:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-RELAY-S...07115239&rk=2&rkt=30&mehot=pp&sd=121105058973

Here are print screens of the manual to show what i mean.

Thanks guys

** The part number on the schematc is "56131" But the FOUR post solenoid in the link about is part number "56131-k" Which is also in the service manual. Not sure why the difference.

SDvvvv.png

aetetg.png

qwer.png

WEFWE.png

aetetg.png

qwer.png

WEFWE.png

SDvvvv.png

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  9. roadrr

roadrr Junior Member

you will need the one with the red jumper wire, I have both versions for two diff. plows most come with the short red wire, if you don't need just leave it off. check your wiring diagram for your plow

10. MrPlow705

MrPlow705 Junior Member
    from Sudbury

Ordered the solenoid - Now headlight question

The plow has older sealed beam glass headlights. The bulb unit is held in by a rectangular retainer with four screws that goes around the perimeter of the light. Both of mine are rusted, does anyone know where i can find these?

I think the bulb type is : GE H-6054GE

Could be wrong though.

thanks all :waving: