1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need help with old school fisher plow

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by SNO-MAN_DAVE, Jan 25, 2012.

1. SNO-MAN_DAVE

SNO-MAN_DAVE Junior Member

i recently got a 94 f-150 and i had a old fisher plow, i believe it is a 7.5' Fisher Speed Caster. goes up and down fine but when i try to angle it will only go right. if i switch the hoses around i will go left just fine but then it will not angle back to the right. Any help would be great

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

What pump?

3. SNO-MAN_DAVE

not sure it is an electric pump that is monted behind the front bumper and i can here it run when trying to angle both ways but will only move one way

4. kimber750

Is the pump and lift ram one unit? Or are they two separate units?

5. SNO-MAN_DAVE

they are separate units if it helps it has a cable style underhood valve model # 4465

6. kimber750

This may be a little too old for me. I have mainly worked on the newer stuff. Let me see what I can dig up. I do know if the cables are not adjusted properly it can cause your issue.

7. SNO-MAN_DAVE

ok thanks. i do now it has just got new cables installed but not sure on the adjustment or how to do that properly

8. kimber750

Look like this?

6285_052793.pdf (application-pdf Object)_1327503851663.jpg

9. SNO-MAN_DAVE

yes thats it

10. kimber750

Is your cables adjusted so the control is centered?

11. SNO-MAN_DAVE

i believe they are

12. kimber750

Sorry but other than that I am at a loss. These valves were pretty bulletproof. I have torn into one so I really do not know where to go from here. Hopefully one of the old time gurus will be around to help you out.

13. Is the pump belt driven by the engine with what looks like an A/C clutch on it? Do you hear the clutch engaging when you operate the cables?

14. If it has that style valve body I seriously doubt it is an electric pump. Was this plow on the truck originally? Can you take a picture for us?
    This is a conventional setup and not a MM1 correct?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  15. SNO-MAN_DAVE

correct it is a conventional style and no i dont believe that this is original to the truck and it has the valve that is pictured above

16. SNO-MAN_DAVE

valve and pump pump is located behind the bumper and valve is on left wheel well

DSCF1108.jpg

DSCF1107.jpg

17. I've had Fisher plows since the mid 70's and I've never seen a pump like that in that location. I think you may have some type of homemade hybrid setup there or something that pre-dates my knowledge. Having said that, what you describe sounds like a cable/valve adjustment issue. The inner cable is the angle function. Be sure that the plunger goes in for angle one way and out for the other.
    May be someone else will jump into this later on. Sorry.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  18. Buster F

Buster F Senior Member

If you have quick couplers on the hydraulic lines you my want to try swapping them out on the hose that is not flowing.

19. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Almost sounds like an air lock.

20. SNO-MAN_DAVE

Are the angle hose lines supposed to be on the same side of the valve body? The way it is currently hooked up one is on the in side and one is on the out side of the valve