1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help with new plow

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Nickybots110, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Nickybots110

Nickybots110 Junior Member

I just picked up a 96 Ford f 250 with a western uni mount plow yesterday and am having a problem with the plow. First problem the guy told me about. You have to unplug the plow or the battery will be dead by the next morning. Second when I brought the truck home I was moving the plow side to side a few times because it has sat for a while then I dropped it down. When I went to move the truck the plow would not go up. The pumpruns fine but no side to side or up. I think the fluid is low but I'm not sure what plug to take out to check it and if I'm gonna do that I might as well change the fluid. If someone has a printout of the pump and what plugs are what that would be great. Also if anyone has an idea why the battery goes dead that would be great to. You can email me at Nickybots110@aol.com.

Thanks alot

2. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

As for the electrical issue, you probably have a short somewhere. My guess is since the plow must be disconnected in order to keep the battery from draining, the short is probably on teh plow side. More specifically, under the cover where the solenoids are kept.

And as far as the plow no longer raising, I would say the fluid may be low. Now you could probably have air in the lines. No biggie. Try adding some fluid. Turn the plow on and put it in the float position and force the lift cylinder all the way down by hand. Fill the pump up with fluid via the square top nut next to the pump motor. Try again to run the lift cylinder up. If it goes up, cycle all the cylinders to remove any air. Put the blade back into the float position and force the lift cylinder all the way down again. Check the reservoir and add more fluid if necessary.

Hope this helps.

3. Nickybots110

Thanks alot for the help. Hopefully I'll get to it this weekend. Whats the best fluid to use on the pump. The guy left me about a half gallon of hydrolic oil but there is no label on it so I figure I will use it to top it off then I want to change the oil. Any info on what is the best to use would be great. Thanks

4. Plow Meister

GO to any good party store or plow dealer and get fluid for snow plows. Some will say tranny fluid works in a pinch but I'd stay away from if if you can.

5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Q. can you run the plow with the key off?

What happens when you turn the controller off?

I Think it's wired to a circuit that is hot all of the time.
    try to use a circuit that is controlled with the ignition switch.
    Then it will not drain the batt.

stay a way from ATF....

6. Plow Meister

Sno,

You might be right. However, the controller has an on-off switch. I had mine wired up to a constant 12V for years and just shut the plow off at the controller. I never had a battery drainage problem. That's not to say you are wrong. That was just my personal situation.

7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

No problem.. that will work too.

But their has to be something that is drawing power?
    If it was on a switched circuit it would not be able to draw any power.

It may be time to get the volt meter out???

Last edited: Oct 6, 2006
  8. Nickybots110

I really didn't get into it yet. Is there a control moduale for the plow? I know there is for the lights. I owned a truck with a fisher minute mount and that had a module. I'm just not sure if this does. I didn't see it under the hood. Also should the truck have a separate battery just for the plow. My gmc 2500 had another battery just for the plow but this truck only has one. Just trying to get as many ideas as I can before the summer. Thanks

9. Plow Meister

The only thing you should have under the hood is the wiring harness from the controller to the plow & headlight relay & marker lights, the harness for the heavy power cables to the plow, and the relay to turn on the pump motor. In a nutshell, that's about it. I did kinda over-simplify but this will give you a good idea to start inspecting wires. Unless your truck has DRL (daytime running lights) the only relays under the hood are the ones to switch the truck lights off and the plow lights on when the plow is connected and the big one that supplies the power to the pump & solenoids on the pump..

10. Nickybots110

Thanks for all the info. Hopefully I can get all the kinks out of it this weekend and have it ready for the snow

11. Dakota2004

Dakota2004 Senior Member

where you get the truck from?

12. Nickybots110

I got it from Staten Island

13. bihnsmoked

bihnsmoked Junior Member

western plow website has tons of pics and info if still needed

ya the westen plow website has all the manuals and service guides for your plow pump as well as trobleshooting guides just to let you know