1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help with my john deere blower please

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by GreenmanCT, Jan 1, 2010.

1. GreenmanCT

GreenmanCT Junior Member
    from CT

I have a 10-15 year old JD 1032 snowblower. The engine runs great. But the issue i am having is with the lever for the auger. Most times it wont start unless i have the lever slightly pulled back from its resting position (off). After i get it started, it will cruise for a bit then shutter out, i have fiddle with the auger lever to keep it running.

As for the time now i have this thing rigged with a bungee cord to keep the lever in the "sweet spot"

I would appreciate any help or suggestions you guys might have to help me fix this issue.

2. GreenmanCT

GreenmanCT Junior Member
    from CT

can i get any help? prob should have posted this on lawnsite.

3. MNcasper

MNcasper Junior Member

I know this wont be any help but I tried. I assume this is a walk behind since that is all JD seems to show it as, it sounds like there is a cut off switch for the auger position but I can't find it on the JD parts site. Maybe if you posted in the non comercial area you might find someone who has knowledge of this machine. http://www.plowsite.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36
    Hope you find help with your problem there good luck!

4. leon

leon Senior Member

========================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================

First things first, when was the last time you
    looked at the drive belts?

The drive belts are the most likely problem
    as it(the auger) runs with no load(snow).

A new belt will be of a certain diameter new
    being X an old belt or two that has never
    been changed will have a diameter of X+
    as it will have rubber rot due to ozone and
    wear from friction and shock loading(stretch)
    from years of use.

Most blowers have a flat pressure pulley that
    applies tension (with a spring)to one or more
    belts to provideenergy to the auger pulley and
    the blower paddles. If the belt is stretched from
    years of use it will work when it is cold and when
    the belt becomes hot from friction due to rotating
    around the pulley or pulleys it slackens and looses
    traction against the v pulley or pulleys.

The belt drive is both a method of power transmission
    and a method of preventing overload on a snow blower.

leon

5. GreenmanCT

GreenmanCT Junior Member
    from CT

Thanks for your replies. After starting to disassemble the lever assembly for the augers, i noticed a wire out of place and resting between 2 metal contact points. i zip tied it out of the way and its back to running strong.

I think i am going to have to the replace the clutch wheel though ( the wheel with the rubber around it) i think it may be worn, like you said leon. I think that may be the reason getting it to go in reverse is so difficult.