1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help.. with mount hieght

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by 1982atm, Nov 1, 2012.

1. 1982atm

1982atm Senior Member
    from indy

i got a new truck this year and just got the mount and wiring installed ... the hole in the mount that is supposed to be 15 1/2" off the ground can only be 14 1/2" due to the bumper ... my plow is still in storage so i cant test it... my ? is will that be high enough or will i have probs mounting and un mounting the plow???????????

2. ihdriver7088

ihdriver7088 Senior Member

whats stopping you from that extra inch you need?????

3. 1982atm

1982atm Senior Member
    from indy

the bumper is in the way..... early2003 f250 7.3 diesel

4. 1982atm

1982atm Senior Member
    from indy

Ok so >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>??????????help guys

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Two reasons. The front of the truck has settled (worn springs) or you're not measuring correctly, as the early Supers didn't have bumper clearance problems. Where are you taking the measurement exactly?

6. 1982atm

1982atm Senior Member
    from indy

measuring from the center of the hole where the plow mount sticks out and the pins go threw.. the place you are supposed to measure form per boss manual... it only 13 1/2" but i can raise it one more hole on the bracket so i assume it will raise it to around 14 1/2"
    truck is a ccsb 03 f250 fx4 4x4 with the 7.3 diesel 130,000 miles ... i assume the leaf springs are wore out and plan on getting some used x codes from a salvage yard

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Ok, if you go up as far as you can and you'll still only be at 14 1/2" the old girl definitely needs some help in the spring department. You could squeak by doing any spring work at 14 1/2" but you'll find it won't scrape well and will wear the edges faster until you get the mount higher. So truthfully the suspension should be addressed now for best results.

8. 1982atm

1982atm Senior Member
    from indy

ok so i Have canceled plowing with the crew-cab short bed ford super duty and bought a 95 gmc k3500 reg cab single rear wheel and now my prob is the lowest i can get the mount with out lowering the torsion bars is 16" at the center of the pin hole
    i just had it aligned and if i lower the torsion bars ill have to get it aligned again
    so will it be ok or will it ware out the edges or what is the probs i could see with the mount being at 16"

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Mount the plow and see how it sets. I've said it before but the recommended 15 1/2" spec isn't set in stone nor a one size fits all setting. Even 17" isn't too high as there's enough adjustment in the center bumper to bring it back to where it's flat on the ground. And that's all that is critical.

10. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

Yeah I've run 16-1/2" with the VXTs on the last 2 Dodge's because of leveling kits and 285s with no problems. The edges are adjusted to lay perfect on the ground and still have one hole left in the bumper stop if needed for edge wear. You'll be fine, just have to set it up.