1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need Help with Meyer E-47 Problems.

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Jason Pallas, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas Senior Member

I've got a couple of Meyer E-47 problems that I need help with. Any input or direction is greatly appreciated.

#1) I've got a plow that angles right fine. However, frequently when I angle it to the left, the plow will stick/stop whenever it's angled all the way to the left. Then it won't angle back to the right/becomes stuck (it will however lift and drop fine - and the motor/pump does run when I'm trying to angle back right). After a couple tries (sometimes a dozen or so), the plow will then angle back to the right / un-stick. The plow only becomes stuck when it's angled all the way over to the left. If I stop just short of the extreme left, I can go back right fine. Any suggestions as to what this may be? Crossover valve? BYW - the rams look to be in really good condtion and I just changed all the plow fluid in the pump and the rams.

#2) Different E-47 - on the valve body there are 4 different hex bolts that hold the valve body to the pump. When I angle to the right, the top right hand hex bolt begins to leak fluid. I know that these bolts are only for mounting - and there don't appear to be any seals/o-rings on them. Anyone have any ideas as to what may be causing this seepage/leaking?

#3) Finally, on a E-47 (same plow as in problem #1). Motor seems to run fine and the plow operates pretty good (maybe a just tad bit on the slow side). However the top of the motor seems to be a lot hotter than the other plows. Do you think, it maybe time to replace the brushes on this motor?

Any help/advice/direction is greatly appreciated - my time is really limited and I'd greatly like to reduce the troubleshooting here.
  2. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

#1) My experience with this problem was caused by the check valves built into the hose quick connects. I have had problems with aftermarket connectors and now only buy Meyer brand.

#2) The fluid ports between the sump base and the angle block have o-rings. You could have a bad o-ring, and I have also seen broken sump bases causing leaking between the base and angle block.

#3) For the price of a new motor I would just replace it. It could be just brushes, but the armature can be scored too.
  3. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

I totaly agree with Lawnmedic......Rob
  4. Jason Pallas

Thanks guys - really appreciate the help. I think you're right. Unfortunately the one hex bolt has stripped and I can't get the valve body removed - so I'll just have to live with the leak for now and hope it doesn't get any worse. Thanks again guys.
  5. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

buy a 7/16" drill bit and stick it in the hole and measure back 3/8" on the bit and mark it with a sharpie marker, drill until you hit the mark and then tap the valve body with a dead blow hammer and slide it off, take vice grips and remove whats left of the boltpumpkin:
  6. Jason Pallas

Nate - Thanks! That's a great idea. I was stuck on how to get this one out. Thanks again.