1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help with lock-outs

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 1977/85scottspecial, Jul 19, 2003.

1. 1977/85scottspecial

1977/85scottspecial Member
    from Indiana

I have a dana 44 front end with a detroit locker and 4:11 gears. It also has a 203 transfer case from a 77 camper special. I need to know what I would need to put lock-outs on it so it wouldn't be all wheel drive all the time. Thanks, Alex
  2. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

Warn makes a retro fix lock out hub if I recall correctly.

3. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

You need more than manual locking hubs. You need a conversion kit for the transfer case. If you install just locking hubs, you are asking for trouble IMO.

Opinions here are mixed. I would tell you to convert it to part time, and others will tell you to leave it as it is.

I drove my 77 with fulltime for a year before converting it to part time. Now it's 20,000 trouble free miles later, and I have no complaints or problems.

That steering wheel "jacking" got old fast, and I could not wait until I converted mine. I also hated to see my brand new tires get scalloped.

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

Don't bother with the part time kit for the transfercase.The part time kits do not last,and fry the transfer case.They were never meant to be run without the chain turning,as the chain is what lubes the rear half of the case.

If you really want to get rid of the full time 4WD,swap in a 205.
  5. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I agree with Wyldman, My dad's 79 blazer had a part-time kit installed on a 203 tcase, not long after he bought it, the transfer case went out, he replaced it with a 205. It is really not a difficult swap either. In my opinion, whatever its worth, I'd go to a real part time case.