1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help with lights - RTII V plow & 2000 Dodge 2500

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by TSG, Dec 17, 2010.

1. TSG

TSG Member

Hi,

I bought my plow used in 03. The gentleman I purchased it from installed it for me.. so I am basically unfamiliar with how the lights get hooked up. He wired the lights with 2 switches inside the cab so I had the option to run the plow lights only or truck lights only or both on at the same time. I would like to do away with this and have either or on...

Well, after the first couple of years I had problems with the lights themselves as far as bulbs going out. Rather then fix them I just disconnected the harness under the hood and ran the last couple of years with truck headlights only.

I bought new OEM lights for this year that I have mounted on the plow but I do not remember exactly how the harness gets reconnected under the hood. I tried what I thought looked correct but plow lights are not coming on and have only one headlight on the truck (driver's side) coming on. Obviously.. something's not rights. I also have no power to the switch.

Can someone help me out?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  2. TSG

TSG Member

If someone lives relatively close (21157) that I could stop by for assistance.. I will pay you for your time??

What I am most uncertain about is whether the connector on the driver's side headlight gets unplugged and and the plows harness connector gets plugged in.. in its place?

3. schockservices

schockservices Junior Member
    from ND

4. TSG

TSG Member

I appreciate the diagram.. but it doesn't show the headlight adapter that I see under the hood?

I disconnected the factory plug from the driver's side headlamp and plugged the one from the wiring harness into the headlamp.. then I plugged the factory headlamp plug into the the only place on the harness that would accept that plug. Does this make sense?

Doing the above gave me power to the switch... The green/black, blue/black & green are all live/hot now... even with the key off and lights off. Does this make sense?

The switch now shuts off my truck headlamps but the plow lights do not come on. The truck running/parking lights stay on either way the switch is flipped.

The only thing that works on the plow is the passenger side blinker... along with the truck blinker :confused:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  5. TSG

TSG Member

BTW.. I purchased a new switch.. however, it is a switch I picked up from a meyers dealer. I don't think this should make a difference but maybe I'm wrong?

6. TSG

TSG Member

see below.....

7. TSG

TSG Member

Don't know where the picture went.. will try again

I put the factory plugs back in the headlamps.

Here's a photo of what I am looking at... What I did was unplug the blue plug shown in the photo and plugged it into the headlamp.. then put the factory plug into where I pulled the blue one shown.

driverside.JPG

8. TSG

TSG Member

Passenger side I simply swapped out the 2 plugs shown..

passengerside.JPG

9. TSG

TSG Member

Anyone...?

10. schockservices

from ND

Do you have park lights that operate normally? My plow was used also the harness was al butchered up under the hood and the toggle switch did nothing but cook fuses and concern me so i disconected the plug ins and beings my park lights are hot with the plug in on the plow I went to the back of my plow lights and wired low beams to park lights so when my park lights are on my truck the plow low beams and park lights run also. I will not run both truck lights and plow lights at the same time in fear of it melting my truck light switch. In a nutshell not the right fix but much cheaper than a different harness and paying the dealer to unf*** someones error and i have had this for 2 years like this. I don't have high beams but during a blizzard just run lows anyhow.

11. schockservices

from ND

Wish i was closer bud i would love to help you out wiring can be a nightmare in a used harness especially if someone else already screwed with it. Need anything message me to get a response faster. I had alot of help from a tech cd i bought off of ebay but found the same info on the boss website in their technical side.

12. TSG

TSG Member

Double post......

13. TSG

TSG Member

Thanks for the reply..

What I'd like to know is.. if the 3 wires I said were hot/live at the switch are supposed to be? Does not seem right to me... if not.. what to do about it.

To only have a blinker working is disappointing. Not sure where to start trouble shooting.

14. TSG

TSG Member

Where is everyone? :cry:

15. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Start by getting the right switch. It should have 6 prongs on it(at least my rt2 chevy does). Im guessing this is only a 1 hr bill at a good dealer/installer.

16. TSG

TSG Member

It is a 6 prong 2 way switch....

17. TSG

TSG Member

Did I ask this in the wrong forum?

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You didn't ask in the wrong forum, it's just the fact that it isn't a simple diagnoses via the internet since you're working with a previously modified harness, so of course there's no way to know exactly what may have been done (hacked in other words) therefore we have little to base things on. You need to remove anything that was modified and return the entire harness back to it's original configuration before we can provide much help. But so far I can assure you no, none of the wires at the 6 pin toggle should be hot with the headlamps off. And the parks and turns should work on the plow any time it's connected, because the switch has nothing to do with the parks or turns. They're wired directly into the park/turn wires on the truck so if they don't function then you have additional issues also.

19. TSG

TSG Member

Hi B&B...

From what I can see.. the only change in wiring.. is there is an additional wire that was tied into the keyed switch wire. This wire went to the second switch. This wire is not hooked up to anything at this time.

Nothing else looks spliced, modified or hacked anywhere...

Thanks for your reply!

20. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Somewhere in there there also has to be some additional non OEM (either boss or Dodge) wiring and connections that gave you the ability to run the lights either on the truck, the plow, or both unless you were simply turing the truck lights out with the OEM headlight switch. So you need to look things over very closely. I wouldn't hesitate to remove the plow harness from the truck side and go over it with a fine tooth comb.

What year is the truck?