1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need help with leafs

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by draginlow, Mar 8, 2009.

1. draginlow

draginlow Junior Member

hello i have been on the site for some time and have gotten a lot of info...thanks

now i have a 93 dodge 250 and i am running a western conventional plow. the truck only has 66,000 miles on here but had been a plow truck all it's life. the front springs are just sitting on the bump stops with the plow off. so i want to upgrade the hole setup because i just picked up drop in style bed ez-dumper in really good shape. i am looking to replace springs all around and want to upgrade to at least a 1ton setup in the rear. whats the best to hold the plow in the front...just stock 1ton?? or something different?? they are only 3 leaf in the front now. if you can give me some ideas and maybe a site that would help out a ton

thanks

and here is the truck...and i have fixed the front bumper since the pic
    [​IMG]

2. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Well, 1st and most importantly, just upgrading the springs to 1 ton springs does not a 1 ton truck make. Frame and brakes to start with are different from 3/4 to 1 ton. As to the legality if you're subject to a weigh station they don;t care what you've changed the springs to, overweight is by the gvwr.

Front springs- well that depends on you I would say. Stock 3/4 ton springs will hold fine for several years- it is after all over 10 years of plowing and the more time the plow is on the springs (raised parked for weeks is a favorite around me....) the faster they soften. Upping to a 4 leaf setup will add a longer life span before they sag, but it will negativly affect your ride, possibly to the point you won;t like it. It made our old K5 blazer almost unbearable by adding an extra front leaf to compensate for a winch and bumper. Meanwhile, my Chevy 3500 got stock front leafs when I bought it because they were in the same shape as you describe. No sagging so far. (not that it's plowed much the past 7 years..)

3. draginlow

draginlow Junior Member

i know about the hole weight thing. i hull wood out of the back of are farm and just need to be able to load her down for stuff like that. and dont want to over stress the 3/4 ton's to much and have leafs braking in a year. the front i though i could run one ton springs and that would help with the plow. and i was looking for a little lift so i can fit my tires off my old truck...only need about 1"

thanks

4. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

I would get SRW One ton spring packs all the way around. Same axles on that year truck from 250 to 350 srw class. She will ride stiffer, but certainly handle the weight of the plow and tipper much better. Adding leafs to tired springs is a bad idea, stay away from that.

I wouldnt worry to much about the DOT police checking your door sticker for GVW, they go by what your plated for.
    Not saying that its OK to overload the piss out of your truck with concrete or whatever, but99% of 250HD class trucks are the same as a 350 SRW class truck minus a leaf or over loads.

5. draginlow

draginlow Junior Member

thanks.... i found a set of rears off a buddy because they are the same i to i on his chevy. so i have a set of one year old 1 tons and just need to fine a front set

6. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

You may wanna go with a new set on the front , same amount of leafs. Even 1 leaf spring extra might cause the ride to be to stiff. We extra leaf ed one of our plow trucks, wish we didnt. And yes when youre not using the plow in the winter , set it on the ground.

7. draginlow

draginlow Junior Member

yea me and dad talked it over and we are just going to put stock 1 ton's in and if we need it. we will just add air bag helpers in the rear

8. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

Front Springs---- while upgrading the springs to the 4 leaf fronts would help it will effect ride. I put the 4 leaf fronts springs on my truck, it is stiffer and you get more bounce.

Rear Springs --- you more then likely have 7 ply rear. if your putting an ezdumper in the bed your going want the 12 ply with over load of the 1 ton DRW or C&C springs...

That truck has a Dana 44 front and NP241 chain drive transfer case.... W350 SRW/DRW/C&C would have thicker walled frame. a Dana 60 Front and NP205 gear drive case.... 250HD would have dana 60 front NP205 and Cummins.....

The fine is $3 a pound for every pound your over.... some placces are more enforced then others.... Area i am in i have yet to be pulled over, but i get close Freadrick / Rockville about 3 out 5 times i am pulled over and checked...

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

T-Man is right on. I would buy new springs, especially for the front. You might consider just putting airbags on the bag. That way you can adjust for the load you are carrying.

10. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

You could try to find some good used w350 springs from a rotted out gasser truck. Not sure what a complete set of new would run you back. Most off all keep her oil sprayed to prevent the inside out rot in that era of truck.

11. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I don't know jack about Dodge trucks, I don't know if they are like the springs on the Ford superduties, but if they are just have a suspension shop cut you a spring that goes from shackle to shackle. It will lift your front about 1.5", but most trucks don't set level anyway, most are nosed down 3-4". If you span the whole spring, it won't change the ride much at all. I have done this to every one of my Ford trucks that I have owned, you don't get the dreaded plow lift drop, and it levels the stance of the truck out. I think it makes the truck look better and really it doesn't change the ride much.

12. draginlow

draginlow Junior Member

i have the rear set and just need fronts. i think i am going to spend the money for the front and get new because a local spring shop sad they can set it up so it will ride nice and still hold the weight. he sad $475 for the front springs and ubolts. so i am going to save up

the rears i got are one ton with a hand full of leafs...have not picked them up yet. he just put them on last summer and the truck has been sitting since x-mas. they have a over load leaf on top of them and there are two brackets that go on the frame just for that leaf. he sad they are after market. i dont care about dot just because i live in the sticks and the truck get used around the farm and just here and there. i run big trucks every day so if i need something bigger i will just bring one home ha ha

13. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I just want to add, that may be the way your state does it, but many including mine use the VIN to determine the GVWR if there is no sticker- not the plate since you can lie on the registration. Many guys here lie on their trailer regs. The MA DOT have a database of trailer manufacturers models, vin codes and GVWRs......

Just think of this as a warning, not all states are easy.

14. Brookside

Brookside Member

I wonder how it would be to just put a set of Timbrens on the front, but maybe you'd be better off with those new springs from the local shop.

15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Others may disagree, but I would tend to think that Timbrems are best suited to new trucks, or at least trucks with new springs. The rears on my 97 are sagged to the point that to restore ride height, the timbrems would have to be preloaded, even when empty. I've been told that adds up to a nasty ride. That's why I will have air bags before next winter. Cheaper and easier to install than new leafs. Plus I can keep than nearly empty in the summer, then add air as needed for the spreader. I think new springs for the front is the only way to go, I'd get set for a Cummins. Ducati's idea of a full length leaf added to the (presumably) bottom of pack is interesting too. Probably need new u-bolts either way.

16. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

I'll agree with the timbrems....

full length leaf will give the brick ride. you can not add a full length leaf to the bottom you have take the pack part and put right under the eye leaf. then you would need u bolts and a new locator pin (for the extra space the leaf created)

17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Do you mean that they give a nasty ride? I may put them on the front of my 97.

18. Megunticook

Megunticook Senior Member
    from Maine

FYI--you can get a set of 6-leaf, 1900 lbs. rated, made-in-USA (Stanley in Harrisburg), for $225 incl. shipping from JC Whitney. I just received a pair, they look like good quality. Manufacturer's part number is 34-744. Here's the Whitney link:
    http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ItemBrowse/showCustom-0/showAll-1/N-+20004487/refId-20004487/c-10101/Nty-1/Ntx-mode+matchall/tf-Browse/itemId-100000272367/s-10101/mediaCode-zx/Ntk-AllTextSearchGroup?Ntt=zx975263tf
    Never mind what their website says about application--these are definitely listed from the manufacturer as a direct-fit for our trucks (I have a '73 W100).

These springs were standard equipment in '73 on the 1-ton. Available as an extra on the 1/2 and 3/4 (this according to the specs in the Dodge Factory Service Manual).

U-bolts and shackles can be had from any number of online sources for about $100.

Just a cheaper option for you. Swapping springs is not hard...just can take time and patience getting the old ones off if the eyebolts are seized to the bushings (sawzall will take care that).

Let me know if you have more questions...I did my rears last summer and plan to do the fronts this year.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  19. draginlow

draginlow Junior Member

thanks Megunticook

i put airbag helper's in the rear and the front is ok for now because the snow is about gone so i will have the summer to try to find a set.

and i saved the link;)