1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help with hydrolic setup

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by bigheadnick, Nov 16, 2011.

1. bigheadnick

bigheadnick Junior Member

I have a 92 dakota 5.2 4x4, Just got a fisher setup with a v pulley hydrolic system. My truck has a flat serpentine belt. Was wondering how to integrate. Am I supposed to swap the v pulley with a flat pulley and remove the ac unit or add a v pulley somewhere else like sistered with the fan pulley or something? Any help appreciated and yes this is my first plow season thank you

2. bigheadnick

wow, no one?

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Most guys on here weren't even born when we used those plows. Hard to tell if it will work ,on the old trucks you ran 2 belts,fan belt and the pump belt.

4. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

We used to attach an extra pulley to the alternator and fabricate a mounting bracket for the pump, that was in the seventies. Later on we used to replace the v pulley with a serpentine pulley and fabricate an inline mount and then a longer serpentine belt. Having said all that, you'll be happier if you found an electric power unit.

5. PPP

PPP Member

Given the vintage of the truck and since they were not as popular a plow vehicle finding the aparatus to make it all work might not be that easy and fabricating one may prove difficult. If the plows in great shape consider an Electric Haydex Monarch Hydraulic system. New they run between $700-900.

6. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

oldie but a goodie? NOT!

We just got done taking 2 trucks and making one. Truck #1 was a 1979 bright orange Dodge power wagon "Sno-Commander" in great condition except for some drive-line parts like universal joints and axles seals. Truck #2 was a 1977 Dodge 3/4 ton truck with a Meyer plow on it. The frame and body on #2 was gone, as it was just used to clear a lot and nothing else in the Philly area for the last 15 years. They never washed it or even rinsed it off after use. It had a salt spreader on the back too, so the bed was a "see through" unit, Lol. Anyway, the Sno-Commander unit had a factory installed plow on it that someone had removed years ago and so did the 1977.

We took all the good parts off of the 77 and used them on the 79. The plow was a PITA, as it had the same setup you are talking about. A big valve body under the hood and hoses going EVERYWHERE! it also had manual controls that came through the dash on the left side of the steering wheel with T bars to pull and turn. We got it to work, but then again, this truck had all the holes it needed to install the controls, along with the mount and pulleys installed from the factory for the pump.

IMHO, you are INSANE if you try and make this work on your Dakota. Till you get done fabricating a mount and adapting the controls for your truck, you would be better to convert it to an external electric/hydraulic setup for a couple of reasons. The first one is the hoses. They are really long and tend to vibrate around when you are running the truck, so they have a tendency to rub through and leak or burst at the worst possible time (The previous owner informed us of this fact). It also takes twice as much fluid to fill all of this and has a much greater chance of the system getting air locked. The second reason is that when you try and rig the pump to your current setup, it had better be aligned perfectly, because if it isn't? it will wear out the bearings in the pump and possibly any other accessories aside of it (alternator, smog unit etc.) if the belt is pulling forward or backward on the pully.

The only reason we did it is to restore the 79 back to its factory setup, as it is getting classic tags put on it and is for my buddies collection. I am not trying to discourage you, just letting you know what lies ahead. I wish you the best!

7. bigheadnick

I appreciate everyone's advice. Thing is I don't have the funds to get an electric setup, I got this setup at a steal of a price $250 as it is which is why I got it, I figure to make a little money and run this thing into the ground and get another truck in the spring or the summer. All the hoses are brand new and the blade is only 7ft with most of the original paint still there so the setup is in really good shape. Even included headgear,lights and skidplates. He could have got $1000 for it so I need to take advantage of a deal when I see it. The truck will push it no prob It's a 318 v8 , same engine is common in bigger trucks. Is what it is regardless I'm gonna take a shot with it because as a northern carpenter, I make crap in the winter.So I gotta do something I got a few hundred more I can spend, I think the best route is to swap the v pulley for a flat and mount it in place of the ac unit, Is this my best option?

8. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

Go for it. Have you had the pump checked?

9. second income

second income Member

If the truck is going to be sacrificial basically at this point you can make it work. yeah put it where the a/c compressor was, fab up those brackets, then you need to move onto the actuating rods. You need to mount the spool valves in a location where you can connect the actuating rods with little interference. Depending on the lever set up on the spool valves you may actually be able to use heavy PTO type cables to operate them . This would make placement of the valves less critical As some one mentioned in an earlier post, the hoses due take up alot of room. Basically you can make just about anything work but you have to ask yourself is it worth it. There are some things that you will be fabricating that can break and won't be easy to repair as they are a one-off piece. Good luck.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  10. bigheadnick

Spool valves and actuating rods? You might as well be speaking german lol. I may know the basic pieces of equipment but I need you to dumb those down for me a bit please.Like I said first season here. :confused:

11. second income

second income Member

Sorry for the trade terms, spool valve will be the assemly where all of the hoses tie into under the hood, pressure from the pump and return. The valve operates by pushing and pulling on the chrome cylinders that go into it. Normally they are connected to rods that go into the cab of the truck, one to raise and lower and the other to angle R/L. Hope this helps. You can call me at 732-684-5660 if you get into a jamb. Good luck Lou

12. bigheadnick

thanks, much appreciated Thumbs Up

13. wva

wva Member

burden surplus center has these pumps for $399 monarch dyna-jack m3593-0115

14. bigheadnick

So we took a stroll through the local boneyard and noticed a truck with a v belt sistered to the alternator. He had an almost identical pump as mine. So I'm thinking having actually seen it done this way might be the way to go. Now my pulleys are in different positions so will have to sister the v pulley somewhere else close to where I can mount the pump. From what I'm told they actually sell a dual pulley serp/v but it costs a bundle. I guess I'll either swallow that or pull a v pulley off of another vehicle and mate it somewhere. Was told that guys always go off the crank but atleast now I know it doesnt have to be there.

15. bigheadnick

If I had the cash that's what I'd do but I haven't had much work to speak of (one of the reasons I wanna plow) so funds are limited.Scary thing is the way this weather is going, I'm not sure we're even gonna see snow this year.