1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help with hydraulic system.

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by nosinjcted, Jan 8, 2006.

1. nosinjcted

nosinjcted Junior Member
    from MA

I have an 83 chevy rollback ramp truck. The hydraulic filter split open somehow, so I replaced the filter. So I fill the fluid up, then I engage the PTO, race the engine up a little, then I heard a little pop noise. The new filter exploded on me. What would cause a hydraulic filter to blow up like that?

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

You usually blow a filter head when the system is closed off somewhere, check to make sure all shut off valvles are open and that there are no restrictions such as kinked or pinched hoses.

3. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

well the filter is probably in the return line there must be something plugged in the line after the filter or a hose is kinked not leting the fluid leave the filter to the tank

4. nosinjcted

nosinjcted Junior Member
    from MA

I believe the filter is on the return line but I'm not sure. There is a line that comes out of the tank to the PTO, then there is one that comes from somewhere has the filter on it then it goes to the tank from the filter. Would that be the return?? How could I find out if something is plugging the line, can I blow air into it???

5. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

that should be your return line. s there a shut off valve on the line between the filter and the tank? yes you can blow some air through the line but easier way would be pull off filter see if anything drains out from tank.