1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help with headlight replace

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by DJ Contracting, Feb 6, 2015.

1. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

So I asked a question on the Boss page but didn't get anywhere so I'll try on the Chevy page.

I have to replace my headlight assembly's on my boss plow and at the end of last season I purchased a set of Grote light assembly's.

I need help wiring these Grote lights to my truck/plow. If someone could tell me which wires from the Boss harness would connect to the Grote wires. I'm posting the wire colors and what they go to.

It's a 1999 Chevy Silverado

I'm posting pictures of the Boss lights that I want to replace with these Grote lights. I need to know if these Grote lights will work on my set up, or am I wasting my time trying.

OK so I'm replacing my Boss headlight/parking lights with some used Grote 9 pin headlight/parking lights. Iv'e isolated the boss side wires as these if I'm correct.

BY/WY = High beam

RY/WY = Low beam

BR Park
    PK Right turn
    Y Park
    Violet left turn

Y = grd.?

These are the wires coming out of the Grote lights

RT side
    W = High beam
    Purple = Rt. turn?
    BK/O = low beam?
    BR = park?
    BK = Grd?

Left Side
    W=High beam
    Grey = lt turn?
    BK/O = low beam?
    BR = park?
    BK = Grd?

IMG_20150206_134936.jpg

Grote Headlights.jpg

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

They will work. Not very bright or durable imo. Used then for one season in a company.trk, swapped them out at beginning of plow season of the next year.

3. DJ Contracting

Anything has to be better than the Boss lights on there now as there're so loose that it looks like strobe lights going down the road. I Just need to know which wires to hook (color to color) so that the low and high beams work.

4. Sprag-O

Sprag-O Senior Member

To be 100% certain... Grab a multimeter

Black is typically ground, verify that with continuity.
    From there meter voltage, should be a 10 minute job.

As for the Grotes, if there wasn't a slip with the wire identification, grab 12v of power from somewhere and start testing.

5. DJ Contracting

Looking at the the boss wiring diagram the br wire is ground and they have two wires feeding each high and low beam, that's where the confusion is coming in. I've hook up the two power wires from the boss harness to the single feeds for the Grote lights and it'll blow the headlight fuse.

6. dieselss

Pull apart both lights and physically look at the wires, and then test light, test light not meter the lights and write down what color does what. Then look at the grote lights and see what color goes where. If you want hotwire the lights with a separate wire off the batt pos and neg and you'll see what does what

7. DJ Contracting

I did that if you look a couple post up. I show what wire does what, if you notice the Grote lights only take one power feed wire while the Boss take two power feeds.

8. dieselss

2 leads, hi and low?

9. DJ Contracting

If you look at this diagram you'll see what I'm talking about. Both high and low have a common w/y wire going to the bulb along with the power feed, and a brown wire for ground.

image.jpg

10. dieselss

Where. The diagram shows 2 wires for the low and highs. I'm assuming wht/ylw is gnd

11. DJ Contracting

I hooked up the b/y and the r/y to the proper high and low wires to the Grote lights and the w/y wires to ground and of corse the running/turn signal wires up. The running/turn worked fine however when I'd turn on the headlights it would blow the headlight fuse.

12. dieselss

Well I would have to say test light them. There's only one power for each.
    You sure the wiring for the grote lights are correct? You have them pinpointed

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  13. DJ Contracting

I tested the grote lights with jumper wires to the battery I'll see if I can find a wire schematic for the grote lights. I could be wrong with that end of it. Thx for the help.

14. dieselss

I don't think you need the wiring diagram.
    Not being rude but you can't tell where the wires are going when you open them up?

15. DJ Contracting

I know you're not being rude. I never opened up the assemblies to trace the wires, like I said I basically just used the jumper wire and marked the wires as I went along. I'll be working on it this afternoon. I'll post any progress.

16. DJ Contracting

So here's the finished job. The only thing is I don't have high beams. While testing wires for power I found the w/y had constant 12v while plow headlights were on, and the b/y r/y also had 12v while plow light were on. So I cut one of the w/y wires (per side) and use these for my low beams. It seems to me that when hooked up the factory way from Boss once the relay completed the ground it sent the 12v through the bulb and into the b/y wire and etc. anyway I've never used the high beams anyway. I also welded in a piece of black pipe for structural support.

image.jpg

17. DJ Contracting

Took some more pictures (night time), I can see the I'll have to make some new brackets to move the headlights out more.

image.jpg

18. DJ Contracting

From inside the cab. Not much difference in brightness from the old lights.

image.jpg

19. Why don't you just put a set of hids in the plow lights. It's a night and day difference

20. DJ Contracting

Not following as to which lights you're referring to, but the old boss lights were falling apart and wouldn't hold an alignment. Now if you're talking about putting HID's in the Grote lights then maybe when the time comes to replace the sealed beams I'll look into them.