1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help with Hard Pack

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by acclawn, Dec 14, 2005.

1. acclawn

acclawn Junior Member

Hi guys

I pick up a home depot this year and it has been a nightmare:dizzy: so far. The lot is full of cars most of the time so snow gets really packed down. The only time the lot is almost empty is from 10:00 pm to 5:00 am. Is there anything I can do to prevent the snow from bonding to the pavement? Is there any thing I can do to get it up easier?

Thanks

2. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Salt alot. Get a tractor, backhoe, skidsteer, or loader with a bucket, blade, or pusher box, where you can really scrape down on that stuff. I have a SnoWay with down pressure and it does alot better than a regular blade, but for what you have you will need heavier equipment with serious down pressure & more traction. That and salt the crap out of it...

3. plowman777

plowman777 Senior Member

yea pre-salt...maybe with a liquid but thats another investment..go to ice forum

4. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

The best way is probably to lay down salt before the storm that has been pre-treated with something like Magic to "help" the salt work better...

Other than that you just have to keep up with it the best you can.

5. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

Salt it heavy at 4 am , real heavy . Lay down sand for immediate traction . Come back the following evening with a plow and loader and scrape it up .
    Prior to the next storm pre treat the area .

Get the ok from the manager signed before you do all this.

6. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

bushhogboy why do you have a 30,000 lb winch? do you also pull semi out of the ditch in the winter? :)

7. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

You will have a hard time explaining why you need to preap .. which is the best way to prevent hard pack .. a little FYI.. do NOTHING WITHOUT WRITTEN STORE MANAGER APPROVAL !!! and your nightmare will continue when you want to be paid ... Good Luck

8. Gusco

Gusco Senior Member

I second the liquid shot. It helps alot for an already packed surface because it penetrates. Pre-salt is the way to go though. The liquid can be spendy. let alone anotyher method of applicating it.

9. go plow

go plow Senior Member

I AGREE TOTALLY

10. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Salt will do the trick. You need to get it down early like when there is about 1inch or so and just let it do it's thing. The salt will(if the temps arent too cold)cause the snow to beging to melt which will create a brine(mix of dissolved salt & water) and that is what keeps the snow from adhearing to the asphalt. If your not supposed to get more than 4/5'' a lot of the time you can get away with just leaving the slushy/pasty snow in the main travel lanes and clean everythinh up at the end. If you plow off the lanes you will be removing some portion of the brine and it will become less effective and will need to be replenished in order to keep the snow from bonding. If you use the salt correctly and effectively you won't need any equipment because you won't have any hardpack to deal with. Skip the salt or use it incorrectly and you won't be able to find something big enough.

11. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

04SD, Yeah that and Chevy's, Fords and Yotas! And Dodges, and whatever else a moron can find the ditch with! LOL... actually I haven't used it yet still in the process of setting it up. Why do I need one that large? Cause I can!!!! and it was still lots cheaper than a tiny little dude that would struggle with anything I give it!!!! I got friends in low places :cool: besides who else has a 15 ton winch on a pickup :D

12. acclawn

acclawn Junior Member

Thanks everyone for the help. I will pre salt the hell out of it from now on. How cold before the salt stops working? Last storm the lot froze up at 29.

13. VAhighwayman

VAhighwayman Senior Member

Nothing like a motor grader with carbide cutting edges on the belly blade

14. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Your blade has a big effect on scraping too. How heavy it is, what its angle of attack is, and what its edge is like. Pusher boxes genneraly dont seem to scrap well and using a bucket in a lot is a PITA. But a loader or the like with a big pusher box will help you clear it fast. You can presalt before any snow even falls. But if you dont get any snow that would require it then you are out material. Well untill it snows.....the salt will pretty much stay there for ever till its washed away. If it dosnt snow and it dosnt rain it will be there for when it snows next so when you pre salt you just need to barely hit it pre. Salt will work down to cold temps.....it just takes more of it. 25 to 30 degrees its VERY effective, starts trailing off the colder you go from there. Experience will tell you how much to dump down based on temp ect. Also whacking the drive lanes and infront of the store good becasue cars will track it around were they go and thats you biggest risk of a accidednt or slip and fall. I'd say forget the sand. Salt will make it have deccent traction. How you deal with it depends on your contracts ect and how you are set up. For a storm durring biz hours we will pre salt ahead of time or as the flakes start falling, then go out and whack the drive lanes and in front of the store with a blade with a few inches on the ground(possibly hit slick spots after the fact with more salt) then clear plow it at night(and posibly whack any slick spots again with salt) Salt will make you job much easier to get a nice wet black lot:cool: Some areas just want people to push once at the end of the day, some areas arnt as salt happy, depends on you market. I know were I plow salt is big.....you go 70 miles south and the only people that lay it down are the municipalities it seems. Depends on your area and your customer. Have an understanding with them about service to be provided before you start doing it.

15. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Once hard pack has formed you just need to go over it best you can with a blade and salt the heck outa it........

16. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

It will typically work down to about the low 20's on its own. To help it get enough water going for the salt to work you can do several things like add calcium either liquid or granular, or some people make their own brine solution to pre-wet the salt to get it to remain active at lower temps.

17. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

is this home depot in middletown?

18. acclawn

acclawn Junior Member

No Matt it is in Danbury

19. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

watch yourself with home depot. we maintained one last year. never had any issues or complaints. we were paid to clear all the lots. the store wanted us to clean all the walks as well, so we got permission to go ahead, and each storm had a manager sign off on it.......come end of winter, home depot pointed the finger at the property manager to pay us, and he claimed it was home depot. document everything with that account! you will need it.

20. acclawn

acclawn Junior Member

Hi Matt was the property manager US Maintenance www.usmaintenance.com ? I have a a store manager sign a form after every service.