1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help with Fisher Plow on 02 Dmax

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by livetoplow, Feb 1, 2014.

1. livetoplow

livetoplow Member

Hey

I have a 2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax with a Fisher MM1 8ft plow. The plow itself works great but I have always had a strange problem I can not seem to figure out.

My plow has never lifted very high which is a issue when trying to backdrag and do some of my steep driveways. I thought it might be a chain adjustment but the chain is tight and can not be adjusted anymore.

The problem is the headgear leans forward when I lift my plow. It does not stay straight up like it is supposed to. And because of this you can see that is why it hits and does not lift the way it should. My other plows have never done this. I do have a cracked passenger side push plate but did the same thing even before the plate was cracked.

I do not know if it is caused due to a push plate that might actually be twisted or something. The plow is mounted on the lowest hole on the frame. The 4 holes on the plow side. My old silverado I always had it installed on the middle hole. Thought this might be it but then was told by a dealer that it is just the mounting for attack angle not anything else

Any and all help would be great. Horrible fisher techs live around my way so figured some of the experts on here could help

Thanks everyone Thumbs Up

2. zlssefi

zlssefi Senior Member

Your problem is the plow being mounted in the bottom holes. If you move it to the middle or top hole you will be able to lift higher and i imagine it will fix the headgear falling forward problem as well. When you lift the plow it is hitting the bottom of the headgear bracket which is why it wont lift any further up.

3. LON

LON Senior Member

The MM1 upper headgear bolted on w/ 4 bolts in the base that threaded into 8498 plates and then had straps bolted on from the top down to the base area. If the upper headgear is leaning forward it is probably because of the 4 bolts threaded in at the base. These may need tightened or replaced.
    http://library.fisherplows.com/ddcommon/dd_pdf/pdfs/22229_030402.pdf

4. livetoplow

livetoplow Member

I took a look on my plow according to the diagram you sent me. Is there a way to tell if the bolts are bad on this part ? It looks like it is all tight. I didn't feel a wiggle. It's just killing me not being able to get my plow much higher than 4 inches off the ground.

Does it have anything to do with those 3 mounting holes like the other forum member suggested. My other silverado I owned had the plow on the middle holes but wouldn't know if that would cause it to lean forward. Chain is tight. Has me stumped just not many fisher techs I know my way that won't look or fix it without taking me to the hoop on the price

5. livetoplow

livetoplow Member

I was told those holes only adjust the attack angle. I just know I have never had any lean with the headgear or plow not lifting high enough with any of my other setups. Just can't seem to figure it out

6. zlssefi

zlssefi Senior Member

attack angle

You are correct in that they adjust the attack angle, on my MM1 the problem was that the pins were in the bottom holes, which raised the a frame in the mount. The a frame would hit the bottom of the headgear and cause it to not be able to lift very high. I went to the middle holes and gained about 3 inches of ground clearance on the cutting edge when lifted.

7. livetoplow

livetoplow Member

I will have to try that next week sometime when I can just use my buddies garage. I can see the pins being corroded and take some doin to change it out to the middle holes. My other silverado was in the middle holes and I never had a issue. I see some around town with their fishers way in the air. Makes me jealous as the way my plow is now, I don't know if yours was as bad but when I have my plow fully lifted it is about 3" from the ground to the bottom of the cutting edge tops.

The headgear or lights seem to point down a little also when I lift the plow

I'm hoping it is as easy as fixing the mounting holes