1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help with F250 Unimount

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by The Duke, Dec 3, 2007.

1. The Duke

The Duke Member
    from WI

I got a used 8' Western Unimount, but when I tried to install it, I realised that the guy I bought it from did not give me all the parts. When I contacted him, he went and looked and discovered that the missing pieces are welded to his frame.

They are the angled pieces that are bolted to the side of the frame rail and then the main mount frame is bolted to them.

I contacted one of the local Western dealers and they said that they cannot get those parts anymore and that I have to buy a $500 conversion kit to convert it to an ultramount.

Any advice on where I could find the parts or what I should do?

I really can't afford the $500 extra, but if I don't get the plow on soon, I might as well forget about this season.

2. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

you need to drop that puppy off at a western dealer to get it right the first time . o r take a chance on e-bay

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You could have a local fab shop make the brackets for you... the ones you need are pretty simple and wouldn't take too much time or cost to have them fabbed up.

These mount's do show up on ebay from time to time but if you need it asap having them made would be the fastest way.

4. The Duke

The Duke Member
    from WI

Yeah, I thought about having someone fab one, but how will they know what shape, size, etc, it needs to be??

Like I said, I called the western dealer and they told me I would need to buy the $500 kit...don't think going there will help me any.

5. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

Dealer Has Fab Shop W/ Correct Pieces And Same Prices Im Sure.

6. The Duke

The Duke Member
    from WI

Well, I will give them a call again, but I don't know why they wouldn't have told me that when I first talked to them.

Thanks.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Here's the install instructions for the mount. It has a pretty good exploded view of all the component's that make up the mount. So you could use it for reference to know what you need fabbed up..

http://www.westernplows.com/pdf/13598_020197.pdf

8. The Duke

The Duke Member
    from WI

Yeah, the ieces I need are #8 and #9, but won't they need more than just the diagram? Wouldn't they need dimensions, etc? I have never fabbed anything so I don't know what all they would need, I am just guessing.

Thanks.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not as long as they had the truck and whatever pieces of the mount you do have on site... they'd just custom make them right on the truck to fit/work.

10. The Duke

The Duke Member
    from WI

Any idea what I would be looking at in cash?

Thanks!

11. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

labor is anywhere from 60-80 hr. most places plus parts

12. The Duke

The Duke Member
    from WI

So like $100-150? Or would it be more than an hour or 2?

Thanks guys.

13. toyman

toyman Senior Member

I would also suggest that you put the rest of the brackets in place, they would have an easier time fabbing the parts you need. Or pay to have them install the complete mount for you, either way they are going to need the rest of it in place to make the parts you need.

Toyman